Landmarks: Hugh MacDiarmid’s Brownsbank
About this Event
‘Landmarks: Hugh MacDiarmid’s Brownsbank’ brings together portraits by Sandy Moffat, landscapes by Ruth Nicol and poems by Alan Riach.
Hosted by the University of Glasgow, with Biggar and Upper Clydesdale Museum and MacDiarmid’s Brownsbank, the show centres on Hugh MacDiarmid, who lived with his wife Valda in Brownsbank Cottage, in the South Lanarkshire hills, from 1951 until his death in 1978. The cottage is an A-listed building and a cultural treasure house. A live exhibition is proposed for Biggar and Upper Clydesdale Museum in 2021.
The artists will be in discussion about their work and MacDiarmid’s significance. The narrative of MacDiarmid’s later life and work is central to the show, including his encounters, friendships and flytings with some of his contemporaries (such as Dmitri Shostakovich, Ronald Stevenson and Hamish Henderson), his domestic and countryside environment, and the companionship, support, fierce dedication and love of his wife Valda. Poems will be read. Paintings will be shown. Fireworks, flames and ferocities will follow.
IMAGES: ‘Hugh MacDiarmid: Brownsbank’ by Sandy Moffat; ‘Brownsbank: The Blue Door’ by Ruth Nicol.
- Tell it slant, Glasgow: Book Launch: A Bird Is Not A Stone.
- Red Squirrel Press – Launch of Three Publications
- #StreamMyStory Children’s Online Events Summer 2021
- Women’s Library – In Conversation with Paria Goodarzi
- Bloody Scotland 2021 McIlvanney Prize Long List Announced
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- The Owner of the Sea – Richard Price readings and discussion
- Bernard MacLaverty: Glasgow Writer
- Graeme Macrae Burnet – Glasgow Writer
- Glasgow Writers: Theresa Talbot
- Glasgow School of Art Digital Showcase 2021
- A Spotlight on Jack Knox – Compass Gallery
- The Hunterian: Jimmy Robert: Tobacco Flower
- Hillhead Summer Arts Academy 2021
- Mansfield Park Street Festival 2021
- Vinicombe Street Gala 2021
- Touring Scotland – Pop Up Opera 2021
- 100 Years of the Barras Photography Exhibition
- Scottish Books Long Weekend
- Meet the Poet: Marcus Slease & Colin Herd