King Creosote, Old Fruitmarket, Celtic Connections 2017 review by Pauline Keightley
King Creosote, aka Kenny Anderson, from Fife and his nine piece band brightened up the Old Fruitmarket stage on Friday, 27 January, 2017.
The top quality band, who were made up with sparkly space age gear, included harp, cello, bass, keys, drums, violin, pipes and guitars – with Lomond Campbell (Ziggy) on vocals, Peter Harvey (cello) and Andy Robertson (drums).
This set the mood for the lush, cinematic soundscapes of Anderson’s 2016 album, ‘Astronaut Meets Appleman’. The album explores challenges between tradition and the new technologies.
The gig included the catchy tunes ‘Love Life’ and other memorable song from his recent album – ‘Surface’, ‘Wake Up to This’ and the momentum of ‘You Just Want.’ Kenny mixes colourful, subtle sounds with his indie folk rock music.
The band appeared to really be enjoying the gig; at one point Anderson wandered the stage and had fun interacted with each of the other musicians. The music was hypnotic and immersive from the start and the packed Fruitmarket audience knew they were in for a good night!
English singer songwriter, Charlie Cunningham, was the support and played some dynamic guitar and songs.
In 2014, King Creosote composed songs for a award winning theatre show with archived black and white footage of Scotland, entitle ‘Scotland With Love’. He is also a Mercury prize nominated artist for his collaborative ‘Diamond Mine‘– an album recorded with Jon Hopkins.
He is is a one-man cottage industry based in the Fife fishing town of Anstruther, Kenny “King Creosote” Anderson has released more than 40 albums since the late Nineties.
Review and Photos Pauline Keightley – http://pkimage.co.uk
- Future Glue Christmas Party
- The Sensational Alex Harvey Experience Christmas & New Year Party
- The Flying Dug Quiz Night, Glasgow
- Kirsteen Harvey Live, Cottiers
- I Am A Rohinga Creative Conversations
- A Lad in Maryhill, Pantomime, Maryhill 2019
- Karen Campbell: Novelist at Creative Conversations
- Oscar Marzaroli Exhibition Streetworks
- Christmas at Glasgow Film Theatre 2019
- Matchbox Cineclub + Backseat Bingo Dial Code: Santa Claus + Secret Santa Party
- UKJF Why the Jews? + Starboy CCA
- Southern Exposure Utu CCA
- So Long, My Son GFT
- Knives Out GFT
- Honey Boy GFT
- The Forgotten Screening and Q & A
- Christmas Shopping at Thistle Books Glasgow West End
- First events announced for Glasgow Film Festival 2020
- The Pure Amazing Wiz of Oz Panto at Websters 2019
- Have Yourself a Literary Solstice, Poetry is the Way to Peace