John Inglis Exhibition New Collages 2016 – 2019 Compass Gallery
John Inglis PPRSW RGI HAWI: New Collages 2016 – 2019
6 – 29 February, 2020
Compass Gallery presents a new exhibition of work by artist John Inglis where he recreates remembered fragments of landscape and coast in complex compositions in watercolour and oil.
The artist has long been associated with and exhibited in Compass Gallery, since he graduated in 1974.
John Inglis was born in Glasgow in 1953 and studied at Gray’s School of Art, Aberdeen and Hospitalfield, Arbroath. He won two travelling scholarships, the Keith Prize in 1975 and has had two Scottish Arts Council Awards. In 2013 he won the Bet Low Scholarship to Orkney. He was elected RSW in 1984, and became President from 2005-2016.
In these new and richly coloured collages, Inglis recreates remembered fragments of landscape and coast in complex compositions in watercolour and oil, drawing inspiration from the landscape of Cornwall and North Wales and the archaeology of Orkney. The exhibition is in three sets, Cornwall, Demolition and the Slate series. The images are refined abstractions emphasising surface, line and shape. Structure and composition are fundamental to Inglis’ work.
His first one-man show in Compass Gallery took place in 1980. His work has been included in many group shows at Compass; STV Edinburgh Festival; ‘Painters in Parallel’, Edinburgh Festival 1978; Stirling University; Talbot Rice Centre, Edinburgh; The Glasgow Group; Scottish Art 2 Generations, City Art Centre, Edinburgh and RSA, RSW, SSA and RGI Annual Exhibitions. He has had solo and group shows in the UK, USA, Canada, China, Australia and Europe.
Among the public collections containing his work are Aberdeen University and Art Gallery; Scottish Arts Council; Argyll & Bute Education Authority, Educational Institute of Scotland; STV; The Institute for Cancer Research; McLean County Arts Centre, Illinois; Royal Scottish Academy, Edinburgh and in Australia and Japan.
This section: Art, Photography, Exhibitions what's on-glasgow
Filed under: Art, Photography, Exhibitions what's on-glasgow
- Summer Art Sessions Woodlands Community
- Ian R. Mitchell – Some Images From Glasgow’s Past
- Film Friday Art in the Archive National Library of Scotland
- Oscar, Bravo! – live streaming Street Level Photoworks on Facebook
- Glasgow Window Art Festival – High Street and Saltmarket
- Glasgow Film Festival 2020: Close Up – Susan Wood Exhibition
- Looking at Mackintosh’s Masterpiece
- The IASSIDD Exhibition ProjectAbility
- Old KIlpatrick Art Club Exhibition, Bishopton
- Alasdair Gray – Omnium Gatherum
- DeepEnd Mural Govanhill Community Baths
- As I See Cuba (Como Veo Cuba) Photography Exibition
- John Inglis Exhibition New Collages 2016 – 2019 Compass Gallery
- Project Ability Christmas Show 2019
- Oscar Marzaroli Exhibition Streetworks
- Art on the Exchange Glasgow
- Difference by Design Arts and Crafts Fair, Websters
- Winter Fine Art and Antiques Auction, Great Western Auction
- Art Exhibition at The Arlington Baths Club
- A Gift to Glasgow from New York, The Hunterian