Japanese Prints and their influence at the end of the 19th century, Glasgow Art Club
25 January, 2018 – 6 p.m.– 8 p.m.
John Green will explore how Japanese prints influenced Western painters of the late nineteenth century.
The art of Japan was a revelation to some of the French Impressionistic artists. One of the most well-known forms of this Japanese art is the ukiyo-e “pictures of the floating world” woodblock prints. A stylized, narrative Japanese art form that emphasized flowing outlines, simplified forms, and a strong sense of design. This distinctive style of art flourished in Japan from the mid-seventeenth to the mid-nineteenth century. Many of these artists were masters of composition, of color and of form. Japanese woodblock prints strongly influenced European and American artists of the nineteenth century. Artists stylistically influenced by Japanese Prints include – Degas, Gauguin, Van Gogh, Monet, Renoir, Toulouse-Lautrec, Whistler and Seurat.
John Green recently left his Bath Street gallery after 33 years where he specialised in work by noted 19th and 20th Scottish artists. Many of his exhibitions included contemporary work demonstrating current artistic trends and developments as well as social and technical ones. John has a great interest in, and knowledge of, Japanese prints of which the Club has a small collection, donated by George Grosvenor Thomas (1856-1923) of Grosvenor, Thomas & Paterson, dealers of Japanese curios. These prints from the Club collection will be available to view on the night.
Glasgow Art Club185 Bath Street, G2 4HU
18.00 arrival (bar open)
- Spot The Signs Renfrewshire
- The Greatest Hits, Mental Health Fundraiser
- The Big Talk, Men and Mental Health at The Ice Box
- Befriending Food Experience Celebrate St Andrew’s Day
- Glasgow Hospitals Christmas Concert 2019 Royal Concert Hall
- Book launch: The Light Acknowledgers by Gerry Cambridge
- Telling Invents Told Lis Rhodes
- Winter Fine Art and Antiques Auction, Great Western Auction
- Thomas A Clark: Poet Artist Curator at Creative Converstions
- Charlie Gracie, Donal McLaughlin and Finola Scott CCA
- Artists Moving Image Festival The Tramway
- The Lying King – Glasgow Christmas 2019
- First a Girl, GFT
- Miles Davis: Birth of the Cool GFT
- 2040 at GFT
- Pity Party Film Club I Shot Andy Warhol CCA
- Queer Classics & Matchbox Cineclub City of Lost Souls CCA
- Alan Ereira ALUNA – screening and talk CCA
- Cooking Pot Biting the Hand that Feeds, CCA
- UK Jewish Film Festival 2019 at GFT Glasgow