Japanese Prints and their influence at the end of the 19th century, Glasgow Art Club
25 January, 2018 – 6 p.m.– 8 p.m.
John Green will explore how Japanese prints influenced Western painters of the late nineteenth century.
The art of Japan was a revelation to some of the French Impressionistic artists. One of the most well-known forms of this Japanese art is the ukiyo-e “pictures of the floating world” woodblock prints. A stylized, narrative Japanese art form that emphasized flowing outlines, simplified forms, and a strong sense of design. This distinctive style of art flourished in Japan from the mid-seventeenth to the mid-nineteenth century. Many of these artists were masters of composition, of color and of form. Japanese woodblock prints strongly influenced European and American artists of the nineteenth century. Artists stylistically influenced by Japanese Prints include – Degas, Gauguin, Van Gogh, Monet, Renoir, Toulouse-Lautrec, Whistler and Seurat.
John Green recently left his Bath Street gallery after 33 years where he specialised in work by noted 19th and 20th Scottish artists. Many of his exhibitions included contemporary work demonstrating current artistic trends and developments as well as social and technical ones. John has a great interest in, and knowledge of, Japanese prints of which the Club has a small collection, donated by George Grosvenor Thomas (1856-1923) of Grosvenor, Thomas & Paterson, dealers of Japanese curios. These prints from the Club collection will be available to view on the night.
Glasgow Art Club185 Bath Street, G2 4HU
18.00 arrival (bar open)
- Addicted The Musical Websters Theatre Glasgow
- Poetry Launches CCA – Stephen Watt, Derek Parkes and Mandy Haggith
- Sikorski Polish Club, Glasgow Doors Open Day 2019
- Rod Picott The Admiral Bar
- Opening GYFF Gala: The Farewell (PG)
- Something Fishy Clydebuilt Festival 2019
- The Wedding Planner, OranMor
- An Evening with Women at the Carlton Studios
- Clydebuilt Festival 2019
- Wullie Davidson’s Bus Pass Ramblings: St Andrews
- Glasgow Youth Film Festival 2019
- For Sama GFT
- Drag Kids, GFT Glasgow Youth Film Festival
- Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;Surrection GFT
- Iain Matthews at The Doublet Bar
- Tannahill Arts Festival Paisley
- Cleek the movie – Tannahill Arts Festival
- Adam Sutherland Tales ‘n’ Tunes Old Hairdressers
- The Glasgow Guild Talks 2019
- Ando Glaso Gypsy Music Short Course CCA