Islets of Silence – using theatre to talk about cancer
Wednesday 24 May, 2023, 1.30 p.m. – 3. p.m.
The Mitchell Library North Street Glasgow G3 7DN
The play was written and directed by Isobel Barrett after losing her husband to Pancreatic Cancer through misdiagnosis. Her husband died after only 3 weeks.
Her main aim in writing the play is to highlight the symptoms of this silent killer. The play focuses on an ordinary family of mother, father and a teenage son and daughter. Their life is turned around by the diagnosis of Pancreatic Cancer.
The play was funded by Pancreatic Cancer Action Scotland and Culture and Business Fund Scotland. The production toured to various venues. However, with the outcome of Covid the company did not reach its expected large audience. As such the company wishes to visit organisations with a short video excerpt from the play with a question and answer at the end with the Writer and Director and from some actors involved in the play.
The company is keen to highlight the symptoms of this disease and to extend a welcome to budding playwrights who may be interested in the skills needed in a new piece of drama writing.
Duration Approximately 1 hour
Welcome and introduction Isobel Barrett Writer and Director
Open discussion: Questions and Answers with Writer, Director, Actors
Scene 1 Meet the Gourley family
Scene 2 Intimate Moments with Brian and Lorna
Scene 3 Coping with the Diagnosis
Scene 4 Personal Thoughts
Scene 5 Poem “Dance of Death” written by Isobel Barrett
Scene 6 Facts and Hope
Free Event – Register at EventBrite
- Under One Roof – Taking Care of Your Tenement
- THE G at Glasgow Film Festival 2024
- Glasgow Literary and Music Lounge at The Scotia Bar
- The Burning Season (2023) review Pat Byrne
- Govan Music Festival – Glasgow Barons
- Textile Repair, Sashiko with Keng Keng Watt
- Full Programme Announced for Glasgow Film Festival 2024
- Take 2: Turning Red
- The Settlers
- Hamlet + Ian McKellen Recorded Q&A
- El Castillo + Q&A
- Second Hand and Vintage Sale Britannia Panopticon
- Cesária Évora + Q&A
- Perfect Days
- CineMasters: Terrence Malick
- Black Dog
- Billy Connolly Big Banana Feet
- Blue Sunshine
- The Anatomy of a Fall