Fiona Alderman: Easter Dance Course in France, April, 2016.
Contemporary Dance Course
2nd to 5th April 2016
In the Dordogne (near Sarlat), France
Teacher: Fiona Alderman
The classes are in Cunningham based technique, which has an accent on balance and proportion, using meticulously placed feet , with an upright open torso.
The articulation of the back , using a “tilt”, curve or arch is combined with lower body work.
Coordination is sought, through a number of complex combinations, with directional changes, transferring the weight of the body to develop accuracy and speed.
Using a strong centre, the fluidity of the movement can be achieved, and the dancer’s own individuality can be shown.
An awareness of space and timing will be developed with precision and clarity within the movements..
– The choreographic workshops use improvisation, structured sequences and the idea of “chance” by throwing the dice to determine where and when the movements and gestures are to be performed.
-Working indoors as well as outdoors , within different spaces , with the beautiful medieval architecture of Salignac Eyvigues for site- specific work .
-Creation of a final piece of unique choreography.
Dates, times & place :
Dates : 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th April 2016
Times : 10:00 – 12:00 (am) : technique class
2:00 – 5:00 (pm) : choreographic workshop
Place : Classes take place at the Salle des Fêtes in Salignac Eyvigues 24590.Dordogne. (near Sarlat)
Outside site- specific work at “La Halle” and also within the village of Salignac Eyvigues.
– Simple rate. (without accommodation) 200 euros for 4 days.
-Campsite accommodation * (half board) which includes 4 breakfasts and 4 evening meals.
* On the basis of 2 people sharing the same accommodation (2
Rooms with kitchen) in a well equipped mobile home. 380 euros for 4 days.(course and accommodation)
* On the basis of 1 person within a single mobile home. 480 euros for 4 days.(Course and accommodation).
NB : Possibility of snack facilities on the site.
Contact Eliane FERNANDES – Camping le Temps de Vivre
Tél : +33 (0)5 53 28 93 21 –
Registration details :
Final date of registration : Two weeks before the start of the course.
Important : Please include a medical certificate with your registration.
About Fiona Alderman
Contemporary dance teacher ( Cunningham based technique) dancer and choreographer with 35 years of experience.
Trained in Edinburgh, Scotland, in classical ballet, before creating her own neo-classical company with Brian Hewitt, ex dancer with Festival Ballet in London. Scottish Contemporary Dance Theatre was the only company at this time to show people a style of dance not then widely known.
She continued her career in London in 1980 where she was a student at The Place and also at The Islington Arts Factory where she became Co-Director of its dance company. She trained with many notable dancers/ teachers in Cunningham technique including Viola Farber, Ruth Barnes, Richard Alston, Lloyd Newson and Siobhan Davies.
Returning to Scotland in 1986, she worked for several dance agencies and dance schools amongst them,The Dance House Glasgow, Dance Base Edinburgh, and Dundee College of Contemporary Dance. She choreographed for her students for both Mayfest and the Edinburgh International Festival .
Invited to Portugal in 2001 to a summer residency at the Centro de Danca du Porto.
Since 2000, she has lived in the Dordogne region of France where she directs, with Barry Paton (cameraman) The Salignac Foundation. This was set up to welcome students from all over the world for contemporary dance and” Dance for Camera” film courses.
Classes take place in the heart of village of Salignac Eyvigues and also use the magnificent areas of the open market hall and around the winding cobbled medieval streets for the choreographic workshops.
This section: Dance, Fiona Alderman blogging from The Salignac Foundation France
- Fiona Alderman: The Day of the Ancients blogging from rural France
- Fiona Alderman Blog: Another 14th of July
- Fiona Alderman Blog: The Reopening of the Chateau
- Joy Dunlop – Gaelic Live Online Concert and Ceilidh
- Fiona Alderman: Blogging from Salignac – Out of Confinement
- Fiona Alderman blogging from rural France – New Mayor
- Fiona Alderman: Blogging from Rural France -The Chateau
- Fiona Alderman’s Blog: Sunlight in the Sahara & Pierre Cardin
- Fiona Alderman: Happy New Year from Rural France
- How Does It Feel To Be Loved – Virtual Dance Party
- Online Dance Club LGBTI Plus Elders – National Theatre of Scotland
- Fiona Alderman’s Blog: Life on the Square
- Fiona Alderman Blog: Life in Rural France
- Fiona Alderman’s blog: Winter Is Coming
- Raman Mondair – Choreographies of Dance
- Fiona Alderman’s Blog: A Sunday afternoon in sleepy Salignac
- Fiona Alderman: Blogging from Rural France, July 2020
- Outdoor Activities Woodlands Community
- Fiona Alderman blogging from Rural France: The End of An Era
- LGBTI Elders Online Social Dance Club