Fiona Alderman: Blogging from Rural France, July 2020
The New Mayor and a Tent for Sale
A busy month here in rural France with the local elections for Mayor. Monsieur Laurent, from this village won the battle, but it was a close shave. We have known him for a long time as he used to live down the road from us and when we had computer difficulties, which was often in the beginning, he would come and sort it out. Very charming and very helpful, he was later to be the President of our summer village Fete. I once was a volunteer and enjoyed the busy two months helping as a guide for English speaking tourists.
I believe he will be innovative and enthusiastic about keeping the village alive and thriving, not an easy task during this pandemic. We are still following the safety issues, social distancing and mask wearing in enclosed areas, and the arrival of foreign visitors these last few weeks has boosted the much needed local economy.
However, the local market on the square has not fared so well. It used to be housed in the huge tent which a lot of people disliked and wasn’t really very attractive. It is now up for sale at a cool 20,000 euros. It has become tatty and needs replacing but with what? A new job for the Mayor. It took 4 days to put up and so the problem is how it is going to be taken away. Very French, of course.
The Fables of La Fontaine
(Aubusson, Fables de la Fontaine, Wikipedia. – Daderot – Public Domain)
Jean de la Fontaine is one of the most widely read French poets of the 17th Century but his life was far from easy.
A Portrait in Salignac
- Fiona Alderman: The Day of the Ancients blogging from rural France
- Fiona Alderman Blog: Another 14th of July
- Fiona Alderman Blog: The Reopening of the Chateau
- Fiona Alderman: Blogging from Salignac – Out of Confinement
- Fiona Alderman blogging from rural France – New Mayor
- Fiona Alderman: Blogging from Rural France -The Chateau
- Fiona Alderman’s Blog: Sunlight in the Sahara & Pierre Cardin
- Fiona Alderman: Happy New Year from Rural France
- Fiona Alderman’s Blog: Life on the Square
- Fiona Alderman Blog: Life in Rural France
- Fiona Alderman’s blog: Winter Is Coming
- Fiona Alderman’s Blog: A Sunday afternoon in sleepy Salignac
- Fiona Alderman: Blogging from Rural France, July 2020
- Fiona Alderman blogging from Rural France: The End of An Era
- Fiona Alderman Blogging from Rural France, May 2020
- Fiona Alderman: Stuck in Salignac and Just Waiting
- Fiona Alderman: France Has Shut Down
- Fiona Alderman blogging from rural France. UK is out of Europe.
- From Glasgow to Salignac: 20 years on. Fiona Alderman.
- Fiona Alderman Christmas in Salignac