Fiona Alderman: Blogging from Rural France, July 2020
The New Mayor and a Tent for Sale
A busy month here in rural France with the local elections for Mayor. Monsieur Laurent, from this village won the battle, but it was a close shave. We have known him for a long time as he used to live down the road from us and when we had computer difficulties, which was often in the beginning, he would come and sort it out. Very charming and very helpful, he was later to be the President of our summer village Fete. I once was a volunteer and enjoyed the busy two months helping as a guide for English speaking tourists.
I believe he will be innovative and enthusiastic about keeping the village alive and thriving, not an easy task during this pandemic. We are still following the safety issues, social distancing and mask wearing in enclosed areas, and the arrival of foreign visitors these last few weeks has boosted the much needed local economy.
However, the local market on the square has not fared so well. It used to be housed in the huge tent which a lot of people disliked and wasn’t really very attractive. It is now up for sale at a cool 20,000 euros. It has become tatty and needs replacing but with what? A new job for the Mayor. It took 4 days to put up and so the problem is how it is going to be taken away. Very French, of course.
The Fables of La Fontaine
(Aubusson, Fables de la Fontaine, Wikipedia. – Daderot – Public Domain)
Jean de la Fontaine is one of the most widely read French poets of the 17th Century but his life was far from easy.
A Portrait in Salignac
- Fiona Alderman: Blogging from Rural France, July 2020
- Fiona Alderman blogging from Rural France: The End of An Era
- Fiona Alderman Blogging from Rural France, May 2020
- Fiona Alderman: Stuck in Salignac and Just Waiting
- Fiona Alderman: France Has Shut Down
- Fiona Alderman blogging from rural France. UK is out of Europe.
- From Glasgow to Salignac: 20 years on. Fiona Alderman.
- Fiona Alderman Christmas in Salignac
- Fiona Alderman blogging from Rural France – time is marching on
- Fiona Alderman: The Lady in Black
- Fiona Alderman Blogging from Rural France – The Final Fete
- Fiona Alderman: Rural Living in France
- Fiona Alderman: Summer Stories from Salignac
- Fiona Alderman: Updates from France
- Fiona Alderman blogging from Rural France: bins, earthquakes and threats
- Fiona Alderman: Blogging from Rural France – The cat that got the cream
- Fiona Alderman: New roofs and new beginnings
- Fiona Alderman: A Winter Tale from Salignac
- Fiona Alderman: The Capital of Christmas
- Fiona Alderman blogging from Rural France – From Strikes to Yellow Jackets