Finsbay Burns Night Fundraiser
28 January, 2018 7.30 p.m. – 11.30 p.m.
Finsbay’sannual Burns night event. This years event will be raising money for the Doddie Weir 5 Trust.
Former Scotland rugby captain Al Kellock & British Lion Stuart Hogg (tbc) hosting the event.
The event is sure to be another fantastic night and all for a great cause. Live music, a raffle, small auction, a traditional burns dinner and complimentary whisky courtesy of Glengoyne distillery.
Limited spaces – to book a table email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01419566016
Finsbay 44 Main Street, Milngavie, Glasgow G62 6BU
Doddie Weir’5 Discretionary Trust was established by Doddie, with the support of his family and friends in response to Doddie being diagnosed as suffering from Motor Neuron Disease.
DW5’s aim is to support Doddie, Kathy and their family in the months and years ahead as they live with this, currently, incurable condition.
In June 2017 Doddie shared his diagnosis with us all and the global response has been incredible. The world rugby community, in particular, has offered enormous support.
Motor Neurone Disease (MND) is a rapidly progressing terminal illness, which stops signals from the brain reaching the muscles.
Also known as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) or Lou Gehrig’s Disease – MND is a progressive disease. It occurs when specialised nerve cells called motor neurons break down.
These cells usually transmit messages from the brain and spinal cord to tell muscles in the body what to do. In MND, messages from the nerves gradually stop reaching the muscles, which causes them to weaken and waste away.
Eventually, this leads to paralysis and difficulties with speech, swallowing and breathing.
There are no therapies that can stop progression of MND and little is known about why the disease strikes some but not others.
Doddie has pledged his support for research at the Euan MacDonald Centre, a Scotland-wide research initiative based at the University of Edinburgh.
The Centre was set up in 2007 by Donald MacDonald, a leading Scottish businessman, and his son Euan, who was diagnosed with MND in 2003.
Filed under: Burns Events, Eating and drinking Glasgow West End, Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers, What's On Glasgow West End: cinema, clubs, theatre, music, events, festivals, community and more
- Bemis – Celtic Connections in the Community
- Opening Celebration Concert Celtic Connections Online 2021
- Glasgow Film Festival 2021 – Programme Announced
- Creative Conversations: Oyinkan Braithwaite
- Multi-talented and Versatile – Laura Turnbull Fyfe
- Sav Aiello Yoga Savvy Classes
- Online Dance Club LGBTI Plus Elders – National Theatre of Scotland
- Opening Celebration Concert – Celtic Connections 2021 Online
- Announcement Full Programme Celtic Connections Online Festival 2021
- Mother India Cafe & Open for Takeaway and Uber Eats
- Balloch Open Mic – Vale Lad ‘Done Good’ – again
- Hogmanay Live Event – ‘One singer one song’
- Online End of Year Quiz Night with Duglus T Stewart
- Carlton Studios Crowdfunder Saturdays FB Livestream
- Balloch House Hotel Open Mic (in abeyance)
- Christmas Exhibition 2020 – Compass Gallery
- Festive Concert with Dave Arcari
- Refuweegee Festive Benefit Gig
- Jasmine Boutique – Stay at Home Service
- Opening Film and Closing Gala Glasgow Film Festival 2021