Edinburgh Book Festival: Richard Holloway
Richard Holloway: The Human Need for Stories
Tuesday 25 August, 2020 16:00 – 17:00
The New York Times Main Theatre Online
As one of the most beloved public thinkers of our times, Richard Holloway has often given voice to the deep feelings and concerns that so many of us struggle to articulate clearly.
In his new book, Stories We Tell Ourselves, the former Bishop of Edinburgh embarks on a personal, philosophical, spiritual and scientific journey in search of answers to some of the biggest human questions of all.
How do we get through the muddling, messy experience of life? How do we make meaning in an apparently meaningless universe when we are one tiny speck in an infinity of galaxies, a flickering moment of life in a billion years of the space-time continuum? Full of his trademark compassion and eloquence, Holloway’s new book shows how the stories we tell ourselves are the fundamental building block in our construction of meaning. Scottish journalist Ruth Wishart will talk to him about his personal reckoning with the mysteries of life.
This is a live event, with an author Q&A.
Made in Scotland festival theme.
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry and Creative Writing Events, Edinburgh Book Festival, What's On Glasgow West End: cinema, clubs, theatre, music, events, festivals, community and more, Zoom and online events
- The Girl, The Crow, The Writer And The Fighter – Debut Novel by George Paterson
- Govanhill International Festival 2021
- Sundance Film Festival Tour London 2021
- GFT: As Tears Go By
- GFT: Nowhere Special
- GFT: The Surrogate
- GFT: Sisters with Transistors
- GFT: Girlfriends
- GFT: Riders of Justice
- GFT: Night of the Kings
- Arlington @150 – Arlington Baths Club Celebrating 150 Years
- Knightswood Living Rent Summer Social
- Glasgow – Open Air Bed Cinema Online
- Piping Live! – Glasgow, August, 2021
- Fun Day – Doon the Watter at Glasgow Green
- Shoot Your Shot PRIDE
- West End in the West End at Websters
- Scribblers Union Digital Gig Series
- Websters Youth Theatre Summer School
- Merchant City Festival 2021