Edinburgh Book Festival: Richard Holloway
Richard Holloway: The Human Need for Stories
Tuesday 25 August, 2020 16:00 – 17:00
The New York Times Main Theatre Online
As one of the most beloved public thinkers of our times, Richard Holloway has often given voice to the deep feelings and concerns that so many of us struggle to articulate clearly.
In his new book, Stories We Tell Ourselves, the former Bishop of Edinburgh embarks on a personal, philosophical, spiritual and scientific journey in search of answers to some of the biggest human questions of all.
How do we get through the muddling, messy experience of life? How do we make meaning in an apparently meaningless universe when we are one tiny speck in an infinity of galaxies, a flickering moment of life in a billion years of the space-time continuum? Full of his trademark compassion and eloquence, Holloway’s new book shows how the stories we tell ourselves are the fundamental building block in our construction of meaning. Scottish journalist Ruth Wishart will talk to him about his personal reckoning with the mysteries of life.
This is a live event, with an author Q&A.
Made in Scotland festival theme.
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry and Creative Writing Events, Edinburgh Book Festival, What's On Glasgow West End: cinema, clubs, theatre, music, events, festivals, community and more, Zoom and online events
- Vinicombe Street Gala
- Aye Write: Prof Dame Sue Black ‘The Books that Made Me
- Glasgow West End – Summer Events 2022
- Alma Wolfson – ‘A Painter’s Passion’
- Outi and Nico at Tchai Ovna
- Performers at Glasgow Jazz Festival 2022
- Book Launch: This Script by Jenny Lindsay
- Glasgow Science Festival 2022
- Grease The Musical at Websters Theatre Glasgow West End
- Bend It Like Bertie at Websters
- Wake Up Punk at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Cabaret – 50th Anniversary at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Wild Men at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Creative Conversations: Michael Pederson
- Aye Write: The Kavya Prize
- Aye Write: Graeme Thomson with John Dingwall
- Particle Wave – Glasgow Science Festival 2022
- Aye Write: Beyond the Swelkie
- CARLA Book Launch at tell it slant
- Glasgow Literary Lounge at the Scotia Bar