Edinburgh Book Festival: Richard Holloway
Richard Holloway: The Human Need for Stories
Tuesday 25 August, 2020 16:00 – 17:00
The New York Times Main Theatre Online
As one of the most beloved public thinkers of our times, Richard Holloway has often given voice to the deep feelings and concerns that so many of us struggle to articulate clearly.
In his new book, Stories We Tell Ourselves, the former Bishop of Edinburgh embarks on a personal, philosophical, spiritual and scientific journey in search of answers to some of the biggest human questions of all.
How do we get through the muddling, messy experience of life? How do we make meaning in an apparently meaningless universe when we are one tiny speck in an infinity of galaxies, a flickering moment of life in a billion years of the space-time continuum? Full of his trademark compassion and eloquence, Holloway’s new book shows how the stories we tell ourselves are the fundamental building block in our construction of meaning. Scottish journalist Ruth Wishart will talk to him about his personal reckoning with the mysteries of life.
This is a live event, with an author Q&A.
Made in Scotland festival theme.
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry and Creative Writing Events, Edinburgh Book Festival, What's On Glasgow West End: cinema, clubs, theatre, music, events, festivals, community and more, Zoom and online events
- Tony Singh: Glasgow Mela Food Cooking Demo
- Creative Conversations: Homi K Bhabha
- World of International Film Festival 2020
- Creative Thursdays – Jewish Textile Art
- Project-Ability, Virtual Exhibition
- Rocks at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Havana Glasgow Film Festival 2020
- Virtual Glasgow Mela 2020
- GYFF Miss Junetenth GFT
- GYFF: Back to the Future
- Nocturnal GFT
- Sounds in the Suburbs 5th Refuweegee Fundraiser
- Glasgow Museum’s Resource Centre: Glasgow’ Smallest Doors
- Raman Mondair – Choreographies of Dance
- Freddy Anderson – collected poems and prose book release
- The Glasgow Diet – Discussion Event
- Tidelines Book Festival 2020
- You’re Only Young Twice – Digital Doors Open Day 2020
- To Meat or Not to Meat – Climate Action
- Stories from the Briggait – Glasgow Doors Open Day