Edinburgh Book Festival: Richard Holloway
Richard Holloway: The Human Need for Stories
Tuesday 25 August, 2020 16:00 – 17:00
The New York Times Main Theatre Online
As one of the most beloved public thinkers of our times, Richard Holloway has often given voice to the deep feelings and concerns that so many of us struggle to articulate clearly.
In his new book, Stories We Tell Ourselves, the former Bishop of Edinburgh embarks on a personal, philosophical, spiritual and scientific journey in search of answers to some of the biggest human questions of all.
How do we get through the muddling, messy experience of life? How do we make meaning in an apparently meaningless universe when we are one tiny speck in an infinity of galaxies, a flickering moment of life in a billion years of the space-time continuum? Full of his trademark compassion and eloquence, Holloway’s new book shows how the stories we tell ourselves are the fundamental building block in our construction of meaning. Scottish journalist Ruth Wishart will talk to him about his personal reckoning with the mysteries of life.
This is a live event, with an author Q&A.
Made in Scotland festival theme.
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry and Creative Writing Events, Edinburgh Book Festival, What's On Glasgow West End: cinema, clubs, theatre, music, events, festivals, community and more, Zoom and online events
- Bemis – Celtic Connections in the Community
- Opening Celebration Concert Celtic Connections Online 2021
- Glasgow Film Festival 2021 – Programme Announced
- Creative Conversations: Oyinkan Braithwaite
- Multi-talented and Versatile – Laura Turnbull Fyfe
- Sav Aiello Yoga Savvy Classes
- Online Dance Club LGBTI Plus Elders – National Theatre of Scotland
- Opening Celebration Concert – Celtic Connections 2021 Online
- Announcement Full Programme Celtic Connections Online Festival 2021
- Balloch Open Mic – Vale Lad ‘Done Good’ – again
- Hogmanay Live Event – ‘One singer one song’
- Online End of Year Quiz Night with Duglus T Stewart
- Carlton Studios Crowdfunder Saturdays FB Livestream
- Balloch House Hotel Open Mic (in abeyance)
- Christmas Exhibition 2020 – Compass Gallery
- Festive Concert with Dave Arcari
- Refuweegee Festive Benefit Gig
- Jasmine Boutique – Stay at Home Service
- Opening Film and Closing Gala Glasgow Film Festival 2021
- Weird Pleasure by Jim Ferguson review of the launch by Pat Byrne