30 November – 6 December, 2018
Based on the novel of the same name by bestselling author Naomi Alderman, Disobedience from Sebastián Lelio (A Fantastic Woman) is a timely and emotionally powerful tale set at the crossroads of tradition and modernity, of personal desires and the demands of faith.
When her estranged rabbi father suddenly passes away, Ronit (played by Oscar-winner and co-producer Rachel Weisz) returns from New York to the north London Orthodox Jewish community she rejected years previously after a scandalous transgression. Ronit’s presence immediately courts further controversy when she unknowingly runs into Esti (Rachel McAdams), the wife of her strictly religious cousin Dovid (Alessandro Nivola) and the woman for whom she shared an illicit attraction in their childhood. This happy reunion soon reignites the two women’s burning, long-unrequited passions, an act of defiance that could alter the course of their lives forever.
Specially commissioned programme notes will are available here.
The Scotsman’s Ali Harkness will introduce the 17.55 screening on Mon 3 Dec, as part of the Contemporary Cinema Course.
GFT 12 Rose Street, G3 6RB
This section: Cinema
Filed under: Cinema
- Wake Up Punk at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Cabaret – 50th Anniversary at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Wild Men at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Particle Wave – Glasgow Science Festival 2022
- SCCAN Communicating Climate Change: Working with Arts & Culture 3-5.30pm 12th May
- Javed Iqbal + Q and A at GFT
- Encounters Presents: Ukrainian Shorts
- Sound of Metal at GFT
- The Velvet Queen at GFT
- The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent at GFT
- Chopper – 20 Anniversary at GFT
- The Good, The Bad and The Ugly at GFT
- Your Mum and Dad at GFT
- Community Consultation: My Historic Neighbourhood – the Barras
- Murina at GFT
- Small Body at GFT
- NT Live: Henry V at GFT
- CODA at Glasgow Film Theatre
- The Outfit, GFT
- Wings at GFT with introduction – Ukraine Fundraiser