Cuba: a photographic exhibition by Iain Clark. Jan 30th – Feb 14th, 2016 at The Thistle Gallery
The Thistle Gallery is privileged to be hosting a remarkable exhibition by Glasgow based photographic artist Iain Clark. This unique body of work is the result of Iain’s visit last year to the Caribbean island of Cuba.
With the announcement last year that Cuba and the United States are to re-establish Embassies in each other’s countries this collection of 35 images gives viewers an insight into an island on the brink of real change.
Said Iain: ‘I wanted to experience Cuba as it was before the 21st century invaded. Cuba is unlike anywhere else in the world and my images aim to capture its uniqueness.
‘It’s a photographer’s paradise; the buildings in Havana appear to crumble before your eyes, the classic American cars on the road showcase the ‘make do and mend mechanics’ and you can’t walk far without the iconic Che Guevara looming over you. The Cuba which appears in this collection at the Thistle Gallery is disappearing day by day.
‘This Exhibition documents a way of life which, in a few year’s time, will only exist in memories. This bygone way of life will be laid to rest in the pages of history books. My images aim to capture a moment in time, preserving this freeze frame of Cuba forever.’
Iain’s work is held in the permanent collection of the Scottish National Portrait Gallery and the National Portrait Gallery, London, as well as private collections across the world.
The Exhibition runs from Saturday, January 30th until Sunday, February 14th. 2016
The Thistle Gallery,
Scottish Contemporary Art,
56 Park Road, Glasgow, G4 9JF
TEL: 0141 334 3444
- Blues ‘n’ Twos with Dave Arcari
- Sonnet Youth Social Club #2
- Sleep Workshops Woodlands Community
- Book Launch: New Shoots Old Roots (2)
- Duglus T Stewart – Dreaded Light Composer
- SEE YOU IN 10 YEARS WRITING COMPETITION for Teenagers
- Online Quiz Night with Duglus T Stewart
- Record Store Day – Love Music Glasgow
- “Monsters, Process and Mayhem” T.L. Huchu in conversation with Chikodili Emelumadu
- Alice – Watch Online GFT
- The Traitor Glasgow Film Theatre Online
- Govan’s Glories: Central Govan Walk Ian R. Mitchell
- Payback Claire MacLeary
- Her Century – National Library of Scotland
- Sounds in the Suburbs – Refuweegee Show
- Lindisfarne at Cottiers
- Starchild Sunflower Sanctuary – Autism
- Sound & Vision Drive-In Summer 2020
- Scenes for Survival Courier Culture
- G20 Festival Safe Play for Children Under 11