COP26 Just Transitions – Havana Glasgow Film Festival
Wednesday 3 November, 2021 6p.m. – 8 p.m.
University of Glasgow, Senate Rooms, University of Glasgow, G12 8QQ
Free Event – Register at Eventbrite
Scotland and Cuba are both small nations that have staked their futures on achieving breakthroughs in renewable energy. At this event, researchers with expertise in each country will examine the motivations, achievements and challenges associated with the energy transition in each context. The panel will be challenged to assess the parallels and distinctions between Scotland’s strategy of carbon mitigation and Cuba’s shift to renewables which is in no small part driven by adaptation climate change and shifts in the global energy economy. Discussion will be drawn towards wider implications for what small nations can achieve and the threats they face in the context of an urgent worldwide change in forms of energy generation.
Blanca Garcés Fernández, who is a Specialist at the Department of International Relations within the Cuban Ministry of Science, Technology and the Environment (CITMA).
Helen Yaffe, senior lecturer in Economic and Social History at the University of Glasgow and author of We Are Cuba! How a Revolutionary People Have Survived in a Post-Soviet World (Yale University Press, 2020).
Matt Hannon, senior lecturer at the University of Strathclyde’s Hunter Centre for Entrepreneurship who is a leading researcher on community energy projects in Scotland.
Andrew Judge, lecturer in International Relations at the University of Glasgow, who is an expert on European regulation and the politics of energy security.
Ewan Gibbs, lecturer in Global Inequalities at the University of Glasgow, who is a historian of Scotland’s energy transitions in the twentieth and twenty-first centuries.
- Glasgow Film Festival Announces 2022 Programme
- Linda Jaxson Band, Websters
- Terrence Higgins Trust 10K Fundraiser in Glasgow
- The Sea of Paperwork Exhibition – Maryhill Integration Network
- Sonica Festival 2022
- Trans – I Got Life at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Cicada, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Temple Grandin plus Recorded Q & A, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Mass, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Nightmare Alley, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Memory Box, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Belfast, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Unchained Comedy Club at McChuills
- Compass Gallery: Gary Anderson RSW : Thoughts and Contemplations
- Scottish Opera Breath Cycle Programme for Long Covid Patients
- Refugee Week Conference 2022
- Kavya Prize – New Writers Prize To Celebrate Scotland’s Ethnically Diverse Communities
- Second International Alasdair Gray Conference
- People’s Palace 124th Birthday Celebration
- Glasgow National Park City AGM