Cajun Music, The Doublet, First Monday every Month
There are Irish and Scottish sessions galore in Glasgow pubs, and singarounds and open mics but on the first Monday of every month there’s something a bit different in the Doublet’s cosy upstairs lounge.
Les Vieux, (Elly Farrelly: fiddle and vocals, Bill Macaulay: Cajun accordion, Sandy Semeonoff: guitar and vocals) and friends play acoustic Cajun music. The mainly French language Cajun music of south-west Louisiana ranges from old French folk songs to bluesy rocking dance music and everything in between. The music has a unique flavour. There are elements of country, blues and folk, but it doesn’t really sound like anything else.
Sandy has loved and played this music for years, notably with Glasgow band “Zut! La Chute….” in the ’80s and ’90s, and when Bill got in touch he jumped at the chance to form a trio with him and Elly.
This evening takes the form of a jam session. Les Vieux play throughout the evening but if you fancy giving this beautiful and captivating music a try, you’re welcome to come along, contribute a song or just join in.
The March session is the fifth one and the band is thrilled with the response to the first four. At the third one there were 8 fiddles, and a standing-room only crowd.
The music runs for a couple of hours or so from around 8, so get there early for a seat and “Laissez les bontemps rouler” – let the good times roll!
Totally free and totally fun!
The Doublet Bar, 74 Park Rd, Glasgow G4 9JF
- Life is too short online readings and recorded performances
- Historic Significance of Ellisland Farm, Centre for Robert Burns
- The Atom: A Love Affair GFT watch online
- Best of Africa in Motion Shorts – Shoeshine screening online
- BAKOSÓ: AFROBEATS DE CUBA FILM – Africa in Motion
- ‘A Handful of Dates’ Africa in Motion Online
- Online Quiz Night with Duglus T Stewart
- Create & Connect Showcase. Glasgow Women’s Library
- Live from a Tenement – Chiara Berardelli
- National Theatre Live Events GFT
- Singing with Beth, Live on Facebook
- Twitter Chat, Little Women at GFT Online Film Club
- Sounds in the Suburbs Refuweegee Fundraiser
- Nice n Sleazy Big Weekend of Streaming Live
- The Poets’ Time – weekly meetings with Linda Jackson on Zoom
- Creative Conversations: Iain Maloney, Novelist and Poet – Zoom Event
- Ian R. Mitchell – Some Images From Glasgow’s Past
- Stay at Home Literary Fringe Festival
- Sonnet Youth Social Club
- Creative Conversations, Monday Lunchtimes, University of Glasgow Chapel