Cajun Music, The Doublet, First Monday every Month
There are Irish and Scottish sessions galore in Glasgow pubs, and singarounds and open mics but on the first Monday of every month there’s something a bit different in the Doublet’s cosy upstairs lounge.
Les Vieux, (Elly Farrelly: fiddle and vocals, Bill Macaulay: Cajun accordion, Sandy Semeonoff: guitar and vocals) and friends play acoustic Cajun music. The mainly French language Cajun music of south-west Louisiana ranges from old French folk songs to bluesy rocking dance music and everything in between. The music has a unique flavour. There are elements of country, blues and folk, but it doesn’t really sound like anything else.
Sandy has loved and played this music for years, notably with Glasgow band “Zut! La Chute….” in the ’80s and ’90s, and when Bill got in touch he jumped at the chance to form a trio with him and Elly.
This evening takes the form of a jam session. Les Vieux play throughout the evening but if you fancy giving this beautiful and captivating music a try, you’re welcome to come along, contribute a song or just join in.
The March session is the fifth one and the band is thrilled with the response to the first four. At the third one there were 8 fiddles, and a standing-room only crowd.
The music runs for a couple of hours or so from around 8, so get there early for a seat and “Laissez les bontemps rouler” – let the good times roll!
Totally free and totally fun!
The Doublet Bar, 74 Park Rd, Glasgow G4 9JF
- GYFF Miss Junetenth GFT
- GYFF: Back to the Future
- Nocturnal GFT
- Sounds in the Suburbs 5th Refuweegee Fundraiser
- Glasgow Museum’s Resource Centre: Glasgow’ Smallest Doors
- Raman Mondair – Choreographies of Dance
- Freddy Anderson – collected poems and prose book release
- The Glasgow Diet – Discussion Event
- Tidelines Book Festival 2020
- You’re Only Young Twice – Digital Doors Open Day 2020
- To Meat or Not to Meat – Climate Action
- Stories from the Briggait – Glasgow Doors Open Day
- BFI London Film Festival 2020 at GFT
- Big Wednesday Night Quiz QMU
- Window Works by Sean Ellcombe RGI Glasgow
- Hip Hop to Opera via Negro Spirituals
- Online Quiz Night with Duglus T Stewart
- September Programme at G.FT.
- John Byrne at 80 – Glasgow Print Studio
- Fury by David Morley – Carcanet Press Online Book Launch