Brexitannia and Damned Dolls, World of Film International Festival, Websters, Sunday 1 October, 2017
The one and only screening of Brexitannia as part of the fourth World of Film International Festival at Websters.
Please note: Websters’ Bar and Bistro now reopened.
This is the first documentary on Brexit. Featuring Noam Chomsky, Saskia Sassen, Guy Standing, Nick Srnicek, Heidi Mirza & Federico Campagna.
Directed by: Timothy George Kelly
Russia / UK | 2017 | 80’ | Documentary
Websters, 415 Great Western Road, G4 9HZ
On/off. Yes/no. Leave or Remain? While referenda always divide people, Brexit did so in a manner unprecedented in modern British history: old pitted against young, nationalists against migrants, the countryside against the city, and “the people” against “the elite”. But underneath these binaries we find human beings whose individual stories influenced the outcome of this historic and perplexing vote. In the referendum the UK was torn apart by debates over the great themes of our age: migration, waning empires, work and its decreasing relevance in an outsourced world that is becoming ever more automated.
BREXITANNIA is a portrait of a democracy in all its impossible and ugly glory. With subtle force, yet without judgement, it presents the people of a once powerful empire as they negotiate their identities in a world that is changing faster than ever and in which power appears to lie further and further from people’s own hands.
– Screened together with Scottish short film Damned Dolls by Sara Jane Kirkwood
UK | 2017 | 6′
With: Lee Hughes, Natalie McConan
Social worker Monica battles to reconnect with RC a lost adult child of the care system who has, for the moment, lost the plot.
“Brexitannia” and “Damned Dolls” screen at Websters Theatre, the main venue for this year’s festival. Websters is fully accessible.
Websters has a bar and a bistro and it’s situated on Great Western Road, which makes it a great venue for our fourth year! More about Websters
More about the programme: woffglasgow.com.
Come celebrate cinema at Websters.
- Life is too short online readings and recorded performances
- ‘A Handful of Dates’ Africa in Motion Online
- Mother India Cafe – Takeaway and Uber Eats
- Historic Significance of Ellisland Farm, Centre for Robert Burns
- The Atom: A Love Affair GFT watch online
- Best of Africa in Motion Shorts – Shoeshine screening online
- BAKOSÓ: AFROBEATS DE CUBA FILM – Africa in Motion
- Online Quiz Night with Duglus T Stewart
- Create & Connect Showcase. Glasgow Women’s Library
- Cottiers: At Home Bottle Shop and Takeaway
- Live from a Tenement – Chiara Berardelli
- National Theatre Live Events GFT
- Singing with Beth, Live on Facebook
- Twitter Chat, Little Women at GFT Online Film Club
- Sounds in the Suburbs Refuweegee Fundraiser
- Nice n Sleazy Big Weekend of Streaming Live
- The Poets’ Time – weekly meetings with Linda Jackson on Zoom
- Kothel Crow Road – boxes of daily selected fruit and veg
- Creative Conversations: Iain Maloney, Novelist and Poet – Zoom Event
- Ian R. Mitchell – Some Images From Glasgow’s Past