Bob Law’s Blog: An Unusual Cross Country Ski Day in Glasgow
January, 2022 – Glasgow
Several years ago I worked out a good walk, or cross country ski route, in my local area. When we had a snowfall recently, and I had a free day available, I set off for a mini adventure. You don’t need to go to the ends of the earth to explore. Adventures can happen anywhere, even in your own back yard in suburbia.
A Circular Route
This circular route, given enough snow, starts around Knightswood Park, which does not look very large on the map but can be easily expanded to take in the Wee Park ( a green strip running along the Garscadden Burn beside Knightswood Golf Course,)
The route would include: Kinghtswood Golf Course itself, free of golfers when under snow, The Forth and Clyde Canal from Anniesland to Garscadden and Trinley Brae. Views are excellent throughout and this circular route can be walked or cross country skied from either Anniesland or the surrounding area making an enjoyable outing of a few hours duration.
Glasgow, Edinburgh, (and Highland Scotland,) sits at the same latitude as the frozen Hudson Bay in Canada; Churchill, with its polar bears going through the bins; Kodiak Island in Alaska……. and is further north than Moscow and Lake Baikal in Russia. Admittedly we have a much milder climate, thanks to the Gulf Stream/ North Atlantic Drift, and the luck of being a slender country surrounded by water –an amazing fact nevertheless. And on this occasion it did feel like it with sub zero temperatures.
A wilderness experience within an urban area- at least for a few hours.
Bob Law, January, 2022
This section: Bob Law: photographer, walker and writer, Pat's Home Page Blog, Walks
- Hannah Rarity at Cottiers (rescheduled)
- Kim Edgar and Rhona Macfarlane at Cottiers
- Piping Live! Family Fun Day
- Scotland on Tour – The Rum Shack, Glasgow
- A Robbery at 1.46 a.m. and Bedsit – Websters Theatre
- Break the Cycle of Homelessness with Social Bite
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Review – The Way Home by Robin Scott-Elliot
- Ashton Lane Stre-EAT FEST
- A Day Of Fun Inspired by John Byrne
- Bloody Scotland 2022 McIlvanney Prize Long List
- Roma Sisters Together – Govanhill International Festival
- A Musical Walking Tour of John Maclean’s Pollokshaws
- Bob Law’s Blog: Glamaig, Isle of Skye
- Stop Rwanda: Resisting the Hostile Environment
- Book launch: ‘Meantime’ by Frankie Boyle
- The Glasgow Effect: Online Talk with Ellie Harrison
- Analysing socio-political themes of protest cinema in Carla’s song by Ken Loach
- Mika & Me Optical Studios Glasgow
- TRNSMT Festival, Pre-party
- Merchant City Festival 2022