Bob Law’s Blog: An Unusual Cross Country Ski Day in Glasgow
January, 2022 – Glasgow
Several years ago I worked out a good walk, or cross country ski route, in my local area. When we had a snowfall recently, and I had a free day available, I set off for a mini adventure. You don’t need to go to the ends of the earth to explore. Adventures can happen anywhere, even in your own back yard in suburbia.
A Circular Route
This circular route, given enough snow, starts around Knightswood Park, which does not look very large on the map but can be easily expanded to take in the Wee Park ( a green strip running along the Garscadden Burn beside Knightswood Golf Course,)
The route would include: Kinghtswood Golf Course itself, free of golfers when under snow, The Forth and Clyde Canal from Anniesland to Garscadden and Trinley Brae. Views are excellent throughout and this circular route can be walked or cross country skied from either Anniesland or the surrounding area making an enjoyable outing of a few hours duration.
Glasgow, Edinburgh, (and Highland Scotland,) sits at the same latitude as the frozen Hudson Bay in Canada; Churchill, with its polar bears going through the bins; Kodiak Island in Alaska……. and is further north than Moscow and Lake Baikal in Russia. Admittedly we have a much milder climate, thanks to the Gulf Stream/ North Atlantic Drift, and the luck of being a slender country surrounded by water –an amazing fact nevertheless. And on this occasion it did feel like it with sub zero temperatures.
A wilderness experience within an urban area- at least for a few hours.
Bob Law, January, 2022
This section: Bob Law: photographer, walker and writer, Pat's Home Page Blog, Walks
- Glasgow West End – Summer Events 2022
- Alma Wolfson – ‘A Painter’s Passion’
- Arcadia Festival – Open Call for Events
- Performers at Glasgow Jazz Festival 2022
- Glasgow Science Festival 2022
- Bend It Like Bertie at Websters
- All Becomes Art – Poems to Joan Eardley
- Colonial Seeds / Seedy Social / Community Meal
- Glasgow Contemporary Art Fair 2022
- Aye Write: MORE FIYA: A Celebration of Black British Poetry with Kayo Chingonyi, Janette Ayachi and Dean Atta
- The Lansdowne – restaurant reopening
- Aye Write: Karen Campbell Introduces… Kirsty Capes, Louise Nealon and Emily Edwards
- The Great May Day Cabaret at OranMor
- The Dughoose Ska Band, McChuills
- Encounters Presents: Ukrainian Shorts
- The Beauty of Edinburgh in Spring
- Aye Write: Aye Write: Louise Welsh Introduces Sukh Ojla, Claire Kohda and Ryan O’Connor
- Aye Write: Louise Welsh Introduces Sukh Ojla, Claire Kohda and Ryan O’Connor
- Nichola Scrutton Work in Progress with Zoe Strachan
- Wee Write 2022