BAKOSÓ: AFROBEATS DE CUBA FILM – Africa in Motion
12 June, 2020 at 7 p.m.
What does ‘Está Rico’ by Marc Anthony, Will Smith & Bad Bunny have in common with ‘Made For Now’ by Janet Jackson x Daddy Yankee? They both hijacked Afrobeats and did not give the genre’s origin props. Bakosó is a film that does the opposite, following DJ Jigüe to his hometown of Santiago de Cuba to find inspiration from the new sounds. He finds Afrobeats has helped create a new genre called Bakosó, which itself is beautiful proof that the exchange between Cuba and Africa did not end with the Transatlantic slave trade. Through stunning visuals and a score created by the founders of the genre, the film shows the technology, culture and landscape that shape this African-Caribbean fusion.
7pm – Film available to watch
It will be accompanied with a recipe for a delicious Mango and Black Bean salad!
It will be followed by a live Q&A on Facebook with director Eli Jacobs-Fantauzz. Q & A on Facebook
Donate pay what you feel at Africa in Motion Event
- Virtual Glasgow Mela 2020
- GYFF Miss Junetenth GFT
- GYFF: Back to the Future
- Nocturnal GFT
- Sounds in the Suburbs 5th Refuweegee Fundraiser
- Glasgow Museum’s Resource Centre: Glasgow’ Smallest Doors
- Raman Mondair – Choreographies of Dance
- Freddy Anderson – collected poems and prose book release
- The Glasgow Diet – Discussion Event
- Tidelines Book Festival 2020
- You’re Only Young Twice – Digital Doors Open Day 2020
- To Meat or Not to Meat – Climate Action
- Stories from the Briggait – Glasgow Doors Open Day
- BFI London Film Festival 2020 at GFT
- Big Wednesday Night Quiz QMU
- Window Works by Sean Ellcombe RGI Glasgow
- Hip Hop to Opera via Negro Spirituals
- Online Quiz Night with Duglus T Stewart
- September Programme at G.FT.
- John Byrne at 80 – Glasgow Print Studio