Anna Coogan and Willie B support Colin Clyne Thur 8 October, 2015 Woodend
Thursday 8 October at Woodend 8 – the wonderful Anna Coogan and Willie B, with support from Colin Clyne Hope you can make it along and see some really great musicians do their stuff!
ANNA COOGAN AND WILLIE B
After twelve years playing solo and in country bands in post-grunge Seattle, Anna Coogan moved to Ithaca, NY in 2011. After seeing the Johnny Dowd Band perform during her first month in town, Anna traded in her acoustic guitar for a 1979 Stratocaster and submerged herself in Ithaca’s thriving experimental rock scene. Willie B, a fellow Bostonian and Dowd’s longtime drummer, joined Anna in early 2013 for a show supporting Taj Mahal at the State Theatre in Ithaca, along with musical powerhouse JD Foster (Calexico, Patty Griffin, Marc Ribot) on bass.
Willie, best known for incorporating bass pedals into his drum set up and playing drums and bass at the same time, has spent years on the road with Johnny Dowd, Jamie Lidell, and Neko Case, including six weeks on the road with Lidell supporting Elton John. Anna, who trained classically in Austria and worked for years as a fisheries biologist, has been building a career as an alternate-folk singer on stages across the world for most of the last decade. She was noted by the Times of London as a must-see touring act of the 2013 UK festival season and has performed live on the BBC, KEXP, and Germany’s largest radio station, WDR 4. Her music has been described as “absolutely gorgeous” by the BBC and given 4 Stars by the Daily Telegraph.
Supporting Anna will be the excellent and highly thought of Colin Clyne. For some, music is a career, for others it’s a calling. Doricana may have been Colin Clyne’s debut album, but it was built on years of touring, years of honing his acoustic guitar based mix of Americana, Celtic, folk and pop influences. A native of Stonehaven, Scotland, Clyne recently ended a 10 year stay in Southern California a few years back, where along with Scotland he had a sizeable following. He is now based in the NE of Scotland; however plans to tour the US in 2015 are underway.
On the 13th of August 2012, Clyne attended The San Diego Music Awards in California, USA, where he was crowned as the ‘Best Acoustic Act’. Remarkably, Clyne also won this award in 2011. This award has previously been won by internationally acclaimed artists Jason Mraz and Jewel. More recently, Clyne was named by NBC San Diego as one of San Diego’s top 12 Singer Songwriters in amongst an elite list which also featured Jewel, Tom Waits and the late Jim Croce.
Woodend Bowling and Tennis Club, 30 Chamberlain Road, G13 1 QG
This section: Gig Guide plus Club Events
Filed under: Gig Guide plus Club Events
One response to “Anna Coogan and Willie B support Colin Clyne Thur 8 October, 2015 Woodend”
- Luca Manning & Fergus McCreadie Celtic Connections
- Celtic Connections & Fallen Angels Club: Danni Nicholls
- Isobel Campbell Isobel Campbell with Hannah Fisher & Sorren Maclean and Nina Violet Celtic Connections
- Celtic Connections: SHHE SHHE + GRISLY FAYE Hug and Pint
- Rachael Dadd, The Glad Cafe Celtic Connections
- The Wandering Hearts and Zoe Graham, Celtic Connections
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- Celtic Connections 2020 – Fionnuala Boyle
- Americana City Halls, Celtic Connections 2020
- Breabach @15 Celtic Connections 2020
- Grit Orchestra Opening Concert Celtic Connections 2020
- Christmas Carousel The Platform
- Future Glue Christmas Party
- The Sensational Alex Harvey Experience Christmas & New Year Party
- Kirsteen Harvey Live, Cottiers
- Sounds in the Suburbs presents Leventime: A Celebration of Jackie Leven
- Glasgow Hospitals Christmas Concert 2019 Royal Concert Hall
- Irish fiddle player Michael Gorman Cd launch and Concert to celebrate his Glasgow connection
- Martin Stephenson & The Daintees OranMor
- Cottiers has Talent this Christmas