Alternative Burns Night: Herland Ceilidh, Glasgow Womens Library
(Image: Shamshad Ghani singing Auld Lang Syne in Punjabi at Herland: Alternative Burns Night, Jan 2018 Credit: GWL)
Friday 25th January, 2019 at 7:30 pm – 10:30 pm (18+)
£5 – £16
Now available for this unmissable party! (Buy online)
Legendary Alternative Burns Night gets a twist, a turn, a birl… ceilidh-ing the night away and hearing poetry, Gaelic story-telling and song by awe-inspiring women creatives.
Maeve Mackinnon hosts the evening, and performs at the event. With a repertoire spanning Gaelic and English-language material, both traditional and contemporary, she’s equally won acclaim for the eloquent emotional connection she forges with every song, communicated in a bewitchingly honeyed, husky yet vibrantly earthy voice, and for her music’s dynamic interplay of boldness and sensitivity.
Bashabi Fraser was born in West Bengal in India, and is based in Scotland. Fraser is a poet, children’s writer, translator and editor. Her publications include Ragas & Reels (2012), Scots Beneath the Banyan Tree: stories from Bengal (2012), From the Ganga to the Tay (2009), Bengal Partition Stories: an unclosed chapter (2006, 2008), and Tartan & Turban (2004). We are delighted that Fraser will share some of her poetry and work at Herland.
The wonderful musician Catriona Hawksworth will be bringing together a ceilidh band especially for Herland. The night will be peppered with poetry and song, and the band will include slower dances in their set. GWL’s main library space, adjacent to the events space, will be open for those who wish a cool down or more peaceful environment.
Soup will be served just before 9pm. This will include: vegetarian, vegan, and gluten free options but if you have other dietary requirements please get in touch in advance
Dress code: Circles, squares, reels… no heels!
Pay It Forward DonationGWL is always striving to be as open, inclusive and accessible as possible. The price of the Herland tickets can be a barrier to some women, GWL are operating a Pay it Forward policy on tickets. These Pay it Forward tickets will go to women who would not otherwise be able to attend and will also help support the event.
This event is open to all (18+). This event costs £16 full price. Subsidised places at £12 for students, people on a low income, unemployed or those in receipt of benefit and Friends of GWL.
Glasgow Women’s Library,
23 Landressy Street
Glasgow, G40 1BP
This section: Burns Events, Dance
- Believe in Scotland Virtual Burns Supper
- A Virtual Burns Night Edinburgh Castle
- Burns Celebration Online Tannahill Centre
- Janey Godley’s Big Burns Supper Online
- Online Dance Club LGBTI Plus Elders – National Theatre of Scotland
- Raman Mondair – Choreographies of Dance
- Outdoor Activities Woodlands Community
- LGBTI Elders Online Social Dance Club
- Compañía Maria “la Serrana” Santuario, Cottiers, Glasgow
- The Muse at the Playhouse with Linda Jaxson
- Thank Funk It’s Valentine’s Day
- Cuba Libre Valentine’s Day Fiesta at Cottiers
- The Workers Theatre Festival
- The Siren Awakes by Linda Jackson, West End Launch
- Cottiers Burns Supper and Ceilidh
- Burns Night (excellent)
- Burns Night Ceilidh, Stereo
- This is not a Burns Night – Dance of the Underclass
- Burns Baby Burns Dance of the Underclass Aftershow Party
- Jolly Beggars Banquet Cheeky Besom Productions