Alternative Burns Night: Herland Ceilidh, Glasgow Womens Library
(Image: Shamshad Ghani singing Auld Lang Syne in Punjabi at Herland: Alternative Burns Night, Jan 2018 Credit: GWL)
Friday 25th January, 2019 at 7:30 pm – 10:30 pm (18+)
£5 – £16
Now available for this unmissable party! (Buy online)
Legendary Alternative Burns Night gets a twist, a turn, a birl… ceilidh-ing the night away and hearing poetry, Gaelic story-telling and song by awe-inspiring women creatives.
Maeve Mackinnon hosts the evening, and performs at the event. With a repertoire spanning Gaelic and English-language material, both traditional and contemporary, she’s equally won acclaim for the eloquent emotional connection she forges with every song, communicated in a bewitchingly honeyed, husky yet vibrantly earthy voice, and for her music’s dynamic interplay of boldness and sensitivity.
Bashabi Fraser was born in West Bengal in India, and is based in Scotland. Fraser is a poet, children’s writer, translator and editor. Her publications include Ragas & Reels (2012), Scots Beneath the Banyan Tree: stories from Bengal (2012), From the Ganga to the Tay (2009), Bengal Partition Stories: an unclosed chapter (2006, 2008), and Tartan & Turban (2004). We are delighted that Fraser will share some of her poetry and work at Herland.
The wonderful musician Catriona Hawksworth will be bringing together a ceilidh band especially for Herland. The night will be peppered with poetry and song, and the band will include slower dances in their set. GWL’s main library space, adjacent to the events space, will be open for those who wish a cool down or more peaceful environment.
Soup will be served just before 9pm. This will include: vegetarian, vegan, and gluten free options but if you have other dietary requirements please get in touch in advance
Dress code: Circles, squares, reels… no heels!
Pay It Forward DonationGWL is always striving to be as open, inclusive and accessible as possible. The price of the Herland tickets can be a barrier to some women, GWL are operating a Pay it Forward policy on tickets. These Pay it Forward tickets will go to women who would not otherwise be able to attend and will also help support the event.
This event is open to all (18+). This event costs £16 full price. Subsidised places at £12 for students, people on a low income, unemployed or those in receipt of benefit and Friends of GWL.
Glasgow Women’s Library,
23 Landressy Street
Glasgow, G40 1BP
This section: Burns Events, Dance
- The Siren Awakes by Linda Jackson, West End Launch
- Soul Bowl, Partickhill Bowling Club
- Soul Bowl, Partickhill Bowling and Community Club
- Young at Heart Dance for Over 50s
- Cuba Libre, Cottiers
- 4th of July Maker’s Mark Hoedown at Websters
- Some things want to run V/DA | Sonic Séance: The Gathering CCA
- The Glasgow Mela 2019
- Ceilidh Dances at Cottiers, West End Festival 2019
- The Tennessee Hotshots at Websters Playhouse
- Glasgow Roma Traveller Celebration CCA
- Silent Disco Party Parade, The Record Factory
- Òran Mór Burns Night 2019
- Celebrate Burns – Night at the Museum, the Hunterian
- Brigadoon GFT
- Burns for Bairns OranMor
- 6th This Is Not A Burns Night, Govanhill Baths review Pat Byrne
- Glasgow Literary Lounge – Alternative Burns
- MJS – Music Jams Sound(s) with Pamela Poldo Banchetti
- Celebration of Robert Burns, National Library of Scotland Kelvin Hall & Mitchell Library