125th Anniversary of the Opening of People’s Palace and Winter Gardens
On 22 January, 2023 Friends of Peoples Palace and Winter Gardens at Glasgow Green along with supporters celebrated 125 years since the opening of the Peoples Palace and the Winter Gardens at Glasgow Green.
Entertainment was provided by:
It was a very enjoyable event with entertainment provided by The Elastic Band, who played traditional Scottish music, Eileen Farrelly, singer and guitarist, and Shetlandic poet Christie Williamson, who performed his poem which was included in the celebration commemoration cards.
FPPWGG were delighted with the turn out for the event and particularly pleased that local councillors George Redmond, Bridgeton and James Scanlan, Gorbals came along also and Paul Sweeney, MSP.
A highlight was the resurrection of Lord Rosebery with Bruce Downie re-enacting the opening speech from 125 years ago. An emphatic reminder that his gift was intended “To belong to the people of Glasgow Forever and Ever”
Unfortunately, the funding bid for Levelling Up Funding by Glasgow Life was not successful so new commitment has to be built to find a way of reopening the Winter Gardens, sadly lying derelict. There is so much potential to build on the pleasure and wellbeing the Winter Gardens afforded the people of Glasgow until very recently. Plus a major opportunity exists to develop a 21st century project, offering both visual and sensory benefits plus establishing an educational hub promoting horticultural and biodiversity – highlighting the role of botanic gardens and their plants and trees in tackling climate change through a sustainable approach.
The Winter Gardens proved to be a popular choice for a variety of events in the past thus income could be generated through its use as a venue.
It was good to see that the People’s Palace remains busy with people enjoying the displays and exhibitions (although, there’s a huge opportunity to add to and update the museum).
There’s also an attractive tearoom.
Opening Hours People’s Palace
Monday-Thursday and Saturday: 10am-5pm
Friday and Sunday: 11am-5pm
Get in touch with Friends of People’s Palace, Winter Gardens and Glasgow Green on Facebook and help support them in their work to reopen the Winter Gardens.
- Asog Glasgow Film Festival 2024
- Love Lies Bleeding, GFF24, review by Pat Byrne
- Glasgow Music Festival 2024
- Love Lies Bleeding Opening Gala Glasgow Film Festival 2024
- The Burning Season (2023) review Pat Byrne
- Govan Music Festival – Glasgow Barons
- Full Programme Announced for Glasgow Film Festival 2024
- Second Hand and Vintage Sale Britannia Panopticon
- Perfect Days
- Blue Sunshine
- Glasgow Goes Green at Arc: Festival Event
- WestFest 2024 – Glasgow West End
- FrightFest at Glasgow Film Festival 2024
- Cinemarc: Women’s Work
- Fundraiser for Medicin Sans Frontieres
- Music Broth at The Mitchell Library
- Greenpeace Fundraiser Gig – Maz & The Phantasms, Motopia, Atlas Works, Louis Rive
- Lunar New Year Celebration at Woodlands Community
- Mika & Me Optical Studios Glasgow
- Secession Open Day Private Parties and Weddings