Wigilia, Film Screening and After Party, GMCA, Trongate 18 December, 2016
GMAC, Trongate 103, Glasgow G1 5HD
December, 18th, 2016 – 6.30 p.m.
Wigilia is an alternative Christmas movie for people who like their film, and their music, a bit more indie. The film stars Iwona Glowinska, from the band Featherwest, and co-stars Duglas T. Stewart, founder of BMX Bandits – Glasgow musical icons and Kurt Cobain’s other favourite band.
Wigilia is the name of a Polish feast eaten on Christmas Eve. Traditionally, it includes an extra place at the table should an unknown wandering pilgrim arrive. When Agata, a Polish cleaner stranded in Glasgow for Christmas prepares her Wigilia in a clients house, she could not have expected the pilgrim that would arrive at her table. Nor could she expect everything he’d do for her.
The film is written, produced and directed by award-winning film-maker Graham Drysdale, whose short films have swooped awards on the American festival circuit. Grant McPhee, Producer of Big Gold Dream and Teenage Superstars, and Steven Moore, from Not Another Happy Ending and Outlander, also produced. The film is written by Graham, Duglas and Iwona. It features an original song written Duglas and Norman Blake (Teenage Fanclub), with the lyrics by Duglas, as well as a score by Jim Harbourne. The film was supported by Scottish microbudget project Tartan Features.
Join us to celebrate Christmas EU-style, with a mashup of Polish and Scottish culture. This is Wigilia’s first public screening.
It promises to be a night to remember with:
– Film screening in the independent GMAC cinema room
– Q&A with Duglas, Iwona and Graham
– Afterparty at MONO, with live music sets by Duglas T. Stewart and Iwona Glowinska
– Additional special guests likely to be added at the last minute
– Free Tunnocks tea cakes for everyone
6:30 Wigilia film screening + Q&A @ GMAC, Trongate 103, Glasgow
8:30 Wigilia afterparty @ MONO, King St, Glasgow – live music from Duglas and Iwona, with alternative Christmas carols and surprise extras.
Space is limited, so book your tickets now.
www.gmacfilm.com/ – Skills and Talent Development Centre
Filed under: Christmas in Glasgow, Christmas in Glasgow 2016 – festive menus, shows, shopping., Cinema, What's On Glasgow West End: cinema, clubs, theatre, music, events, festivals, community and more
- Celtic Connections 2021 – Online
- Being Together: Book Free Outdoor Space – Woodlands Community Garden
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Something for Hallowe’en
- Remembering Alasdair Gray / Paradise
- Creative Conversations: Ngũgĩ wa Thiong’o
- ‘Words From Battlefield’ – Book Launch
- Reimagining Our Economy – Screening Woodlands Community
- Seven New Strawberries – Book Launch
- Poet’s Time with Jenne Gray
- The Zoom Session with Dave Arcari
- Ghost Stories from Around the World
- Africa in Motion Film Festival 2020
- Canada Now – New Canadian Cinema at GFT
- Saint Maud, GFT
- On The Rocks, GFT
- I Am Greta – GFT
- Seahorse Saturday
- Movie Screening: ’13’ – Black History Month
- Science on the Sofa – Activities for Kids
- Breathe Better: Beginners Breathing Workshop