Twilight in the Crypt Glasgow Cathedral Festival
26 September, 2019 9.30 p.m.
Glasgow Cathedral, Castle Street, Glasgow G4 0QZ
At our first-ever GCF late, we descend to the vaulted crypt for a collaboration with Glasgow Experimental Music Series, presenting world premieres by Edwin Hillier and Hunter Coblentz, two young composers at the forefront of the UK’s new music scene.
Lattice (Hunter Coblentz) is composed for four musicians and 27 glasses, tuned to a series of pitches spiralling away from a central key towards infinite space. As performers tilt the singing glasses from side to side, we hear the changes in pitch produce pulsing, fizzing interactions that fill the cavernous space with ethereal, wandering music.
Dhātu (Edwin Hillier) is a spatial composition, scored for two percussionists, three singers, and live electronics. These elements combine to create a constellation of fragile overtones from singing bowls and other metals, bowed and struck by the performers, manipulated by the grainy lo-fi electronics of analogue dictaphones. With the audience surrounded by an immersive speaker setup and performers moving through the space, this late-night performance will be a visceral and unique experience.
- How Poets See The World – Paisley Book Festival 2021 review by Pat Byrne
- February Noise – Refuweegee
- How Poets See The World – Paisley Book Festival Online 2021
- New Patterns for Paisley, Paisley Book Festival
- Breaking Boundaries: Main Reading Vahni Capildeo and Mark Waldron
- More premieres and guests announced for Glasgow Film Festival 2021
- What It Means To Overcome – Paisley Film Festival
- Glasgow Film Festival 2021 Truman and Tennessee
- The World I Fell Out Of – Melanie Reid
- Crossways Literary Festival 2021 – Online
- Vivian French and The Giant’s Tea Party
- Spring Blossom, Glasgow Film Festival 2021 Online
- Sweetheart, Glasgow Film Festival 2021 Online
- Jumbo, Glasgow Film Festival Online 2021
- Preparations To Be Together, Glasgow Film Festival Online
- Glasgow Film Festival 2021 Industry Focus Progamme
- Newtopia: Women With Fierce Words, Paisley Book Festival
- Paisley Book Festival 2021 – Online
- Street Level Photography: In Focus, Brexit Tears
- BMX Bandits at St Luke’s