Twilight in the Crypt Glasgow Cathedral Festival
26 September, 2019 9.30 p.m.
Glasgow Cathedral, Castle Street, Glasgow G4 0QZ
At our first-ever GCF late, we descend to the vaulted crypt for a collaboration with Glasgow Experimental Music Series, presenting world premieres by Edwin Hillier and Hunter Coblentz, two young composers at the forefront of the UK’s new music scene.
Lattice (Hunter Coblentz) is composed for four musicians and 27 glasses, tuned to a series of pitches spiralling away from a central key towards infinite space. As performers tilt the singing glasses from side to side, we hear the changes in pitch produce pulsing, fizzing interactions that fill the cavernous space with ethereal, wandering music.
Dhātu (Edwin Hillier) is a spatial composition, scored for two percussionists, three singers, and live electronics. These elements combine to create a constellation of fragile overtones from singing bowls and other metals, bowed and struck by the performers, manipulated by the grainy lo-fi electronics of analogue dictaphones. With the audience surrounded by an immersive speaker setup and performers moving through the space, this late-night performance will be a visceral and unique experience.
- The Long Ryders at OranMor
- Maria Doyle Kennedy, Cottiers
- Hang Massive at OranMor, Glasgow
- ‘A Place for the Work and the Human Being’ Kelvin Hall
- Mòd 2019 CCA
- Africa in Motion Film Festival 2019 Glasgow
- Thank Funk It’s Friday, South
- Glasgow’s Welcome University of Glasgow
- SAFR Takeover/The Primevals/The Reverse Cowgirls
- Mòd 2019: Gaelic Conversation Café Public CCA
- Black History Month Street Level Photography Temporary Hoarding Magazine and Anti-Racist Graphics
- CINE[STHESIA]: Filmichean Gàidhlig/ Gaelic Films Ghlaschu Mod 2019
- Art For Heart’s Sake, Art Fundraiser at The Store 2019
- Scottish Queer International Film Festival 2019 Announces Full Programme
- Nick Harper with Carol Laula and Port Erin CCA
- Torchlight Parade St Andrew’s Day, WEF
- West Princes plus King Wine at the Hug and Pint, Glasgow
- The Flying Dug Quiz Night, Glasgow
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- The Great Western Festival of Musical Exploration and Discovery