Touring Scotland – Pop Up Opera 2021
10 June – 28 August, 2021
Ticket price: From £5
Experience all the drama and wonder of grand opera on a miniature scale, with intimate open-air performances brought to life by a storyteller, two singers, instrumentalists – and a sumptuous set of specially created illustrations.
Immerse yourself in pint-sized versions of HMS Pinafore, The Gondoliers , Iolanthe, The Mikado and Pirates of Penzance, which take you on an unforgettable journey through the operas’ musical and dramatic highlights – in just 30 minutes each. Packed with screwball humour, memorable characters, and of course brilliant tongue-twisting tunes, these mini operas are perfect for audiences of all ages.
Safety for all audience members, performers and technical staff has been built into all three productions from the very start. Physical distancing and other safety measures will be observed at all times, with no compromise on your protection – or on your spellbinding operatic experience.
Venues including: Eden Court, Inverness; Aden Country Park, Mintlaw; Baird Park Stonehaven; Haddo House, Ellon; Beacon Arts Centre, Greenock; Queens Park Arena, Glasgow; Heart of Hawick; Harestanes Visitor Centre, Jedburgh; Oban High School; Edinburgh Zoo; Festival Theatre Courtyard, Edinburgh; Slessor Gardens, Dundee; Scottish Opera Production Studios, Glasgow; Strathpeffer Pavilion; Craigmonie Centre, Drumnadrochit; Nevis Centre, Fort William; Ullapool High School; Tong Community Centre, Isle of Lewis; Spors Nis in Lionel, Ness, Isle of Lewis; Grinneabhat Centre, Bragar, Isle of Lewis; Belleisle Estate, Ayr; Fullarton Estate, Troon; Crichton Memorial Church, Dumfries; Musselburgh Racecourse and Glamis Castle, Forfar with more to be confirmed!
Pop-up Opera is supported by Garfield Weston Foundation (Weston Culture Fund), Backstage Trust, D’Oyly Carte Opera Trust, The Cross Trust, The Thistle Trust and Scottish Opera’s Education Angels.
Filed under: Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers, Pat's Home Page Blog, What's On Glasgow West End: cinema, clubs, theatre, music, events, festivals, community and more, What's on in Glasgow: Theatre and Comedy
- Bob Law: Walks and Photography – Kilpatrick Hills balcony trails
- Alan Gillespie – Writer – Jim and Pat’s West End Chat
- The Lansdowne Weekend Deal – review Pat Byrne
- Sundance Film Festival Tour London 2021
- GFT: As Tears Go By
- GFT: Nowhere Special
- GFT: The Surrogate
- GFT: Sisters with Transistors
- GFT: Girlfriends
- GFT: Riders of Justice
- GFT: Night of the Kings
- Arlington @150 – Arlington Baths Club Celebrating 150 Years
- Knightswood Living Rent Summer Social
- Woodlands Community Pop Up Cafe on the Terrace
- Wullie Davidson: Bus Pass Ramblings – Crail to Anstruther
- Glasgow – Open Air Bed Cinema Online
- Piping Live! – Glasgow, August, 2021
- Anniesland Butchers
- Fun Day – Doon the Watter at Glasgow Green
- The Lansdowne – Mother India West End