Stop Rwanda: Resisting the Hostile Environment
Tuesday 9 August, 2022, 6 p.m. – 7 p.m.
Resisting the Hostile Environment and Fighting for Refugee Rights
The Rum Shack Glasgow
657 – 659 Pollokshaws Road, Glasgow G41 2AB
This event is part of Govanhill International Festival
In recent months we have seen a major escalation of already horrific attacks on refugees, asylum seekers and migrants.
The plan to deport people to Rwanda is the culmination of a hostile environment that has sought to scapegoat minorities, destroyed lives and torn families apart.
The legal challenge to the Rwanda plans by the PCS union and Care4Calais, and the protests that have taken place in opposition to the plan, show the mass opposition to the UK government’s plans.
The victory of Kenmure Street a year ago no longer stands alone. Solidarity with refugees and migrants and people’s desire to welcome them into our society and defend our neighbours, has been shown in Edinburgh and several London boroughs where direct action and civil disobedience have stopped the Home Office from implementing raids and deportations.
Join Stand Up to Racism and help turn the tide against the Home Office, Priti Patel and the Tories and build on this solidarity to create a society that is truly welcoming
#StopRwanda #NoOffshoreDetention #AllRefugeesWelcome #StopTheFlights
- Govanhill Children’s Book Festival
- Hannah Rarity at Cottiers (rescheduled)
- Kim Edgar and Rhona Macfarlane at Cottiers
- Piping Live! Family Fun Day
- Scotland on Tour – The Rum Shack, Glasgow
- A Robbery at 1.46 a.m. and Bedsit – Websters Theatre
- The Paul McKenna Band – Websters Theatre
- The Mould That Changed The World – Websters Theatre
- Access Film Club: Hot Fuzz
- Blind Ambition at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Eric Ravilious: Drawn To War at GFT
- Notre Dame On Fire at GFT
- Nightclubbing: The Birth of Punk Rock in New York City
- The Harder They Come – 50th Annivesary
- Break the Cycle of Homelessness with Social Bite
- Occupy! Occupy! Occupy! – graphic novel launch
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- Govanhill’s Got Talent
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Review – The Way Home by Robin Scott-Elliot
- Beyond the Rainbow (100th Birthday Celebration for Judy Garland)