Sarah Markey at Cottiers
30 October, 2022 at 7,30 p.m.
Cottiers Theatre, 93 – 95 Hyndland Street, Glasgow G11 5PU
Sarah Markey – Leaving Lurgangreen Album Launch
Featuring special guests and support from Breanna Wilson + Sophie Joint
This is Sarah’s long awaited debut album. debut solo album ‘Leaving Lurgangreen’ features a number of guests including Marty Barry, Charlie Stewart, Jack McRobbie, Hayley Keenan, Calum Stewart, Rubén Bada, Conor Markey, Eamonn Nugent and Tomas Callister.
“With its intelligent arrangements and alert, involving playing, Sarah’s beautifully presented debut album is a clear winner” – The Living Tradition
“A place a Celtic music’s top table is surely already reserved.” **** RnR Magazine
About Sarah Markey
Sarah Markey is a flute player, singer and harpist whose musical upbringing, whilst steeped in traditional music, has a very different influence mainly from the multi-faceted Scottish traditional music scene. In 2019 she was a BBC Radio Scotland Young Traditional Musician of the Year finalist and has collaborated with some of the traditional music scene’s top artists, such as Mec Lir and Calum Stewart.
Sarah creatively blends Irish and Scottish traditional styles to create self-penned tunes and folk songs. Through her work, she has also drawn on her own experiences of living abroad in Spain and her interest in Asturian traditional music. Although her music charts a story of immigration which is far from uncommon, it’s one that has yet to be fully explored musically.
May 2022 saw the release of her long-awaited debut solo album Leaving Lurgangreen. The album is dedicated in memory of her grandmother who was from Lurgangreen, co. Louth Ireland and is a reflection on her musical journey so far, featuring a mixture of her own compositions and traditional repertoire from Scotland, Ireland and Spain.
- Brothers Glasgow Film Festival 2024
- Asog Glasgow Film Festival 2024
- Love Lies Bleeding, GFF24, review by Pat Byrne
- Glasgow Music Festival 2024
- Sarah Smith World Hearing Day Dennistoun Library
- Clairmont – Lesley McDowell Book Launch
- Love Lies Bleeding Opening Gala Glasgow Film Festival 2024
- Under One Roof – Taking Care of Your Tenement
- THE G at Glasgow Film Festival 2024
- Glasgow Literary and Music Lounge at The Scotia Bar
- The Burning Season (2023) review Pat Byrne
- Govan Music Festival – Glasgow Barons
- Textile Repair, Sashiko with Keng Keng Watt
- Full Programme Announced for Glasgow Film Festival 2024
- Take 2: Turning Red
- The Settlers
- Hamlet + Ian McKellen Recorded Q&A
- El Castillo + Q&A
- Second Hand and Vintage Sale Britannia Panopticon