RFN68 Salute, CCA Glasgow
Saturday 19 May 2018
6:15pm, Free/£1/£3/£5/£7 + £1 booking fee, Cinema
Book Online / 0141 352 4900
The Black Power Salute at the 1968 Mexico Olympics was an iconic moment in the USA Civil Rights movement. This documentary feature provides insight into the incident when two Black American athletes protest racism, the war in Vietnam and Civil Rights. But what is not common knowledge is the role of Australian Peter Norman, the third man on the podium.
The film focuses on Norman, who showed his support for Tommie Smith and John Carlos by donning an “Olympic Project for Human Rights” (OPHR) badge on his way to the podium. It was also Norman who suggested to Smith and Carlos that they share the black gloves used in their salute, after Carlos had left his gloves in the Olympic Village. This is the reason for Smith raising his right fist, while Carlos raised his left.
Asked later about his support of Smith and Carlos’ cause by the world’s press, Norman said he opposed his country’s government’s White Australia policy.
The film documents the subsequent reprimand of Norman by the Australian Olympic authorities, and his ostracism by the Australian media.
Despite Norman running qualifying times for both the 100m and 200m during 1971/72, the Australian Olympic track team did not send him to the 1972 Summer Olympics in Munich. It also documents Norman’s reunion with Smith and Carlos, shortly before his death in 2006.
Australia – USA 2008 / 120 minutes
Written by Matt Norman
Produced by Matt Norman
Directed by Matt Norman / Rebecca Norman / David Redman
Cinematography by Martin Smith
Edited by John Leonard / Jane Moran
Centre for Contemporary Arts
350 Sauchiehall Street
Glasgow G2 3JD
This section: Cinema
Filed under: Cinema
- Idrish – Glasgow Short Film Festival
- Wake Up Punk at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Cabaret – 50th Anniversary at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Wild Men at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Particle Wave – Glasgow Science Festival 2022
- SCCAN Communicating Climate Change: Working with Arts & Culture 3-5.30pm 12th May
- Javed Iqbal + Q and A at GFT
- Encounters Presents: Ukrainian Shorts
- Sound of Metal at GFT
- The Velvet Queen at GFT
- The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent at GFT
- Chopper – 20 Anniversary at GFT
- The Good, The Bad and The Ugly at GFT
- Your Mum and Dad at GFT
- Community Consultation: My Historic Neighbourhood – the Barras
- Murina at GFT
- Small Body at GFT
- NT Live: Henry V at GFT
- CODA at Glasgow Film Theatre
- The Outfit, GFT