Polly and the Billet Doux, 9th May, 2014 King Tuts Wah Wah Hut
Polly and the Billets Doux
Polly and the Billets Doux :
Polly and the Billets Doux are something brilliantly different.
Known for their flawless and energy-filled live performances, the genre-defying quartet Polly and the Billets Doux boast a genius blend of folk, pop, rock ‘n’ roll, soul, country, blues and even gospel. They have a solid reputation and extensive history of headline tours up and down the country; from Ullapool to Brighton, and almost everywhere in between.
Their debut album Fiction, Half-Truths and Downright Lies had them topping many ‘ones to watch’ lists back in 2010, and the buzz hasn’t stopped since. That same year, they reached number 21 on the BBC Radio 1 Indie Charts and were invited to do sessions with BBC 6 Music’s Cerys Matthews and BBC Radio 4’s Loose Ends.
Support slots with Stornoway, Fun Lovin’ Criminals and Ellen and the Escapades have seen the band bring their music to increasingly wider audiences across the country whilst remaining festival favourites at many UK festivals including Glastonbury, Loopallu, The Big Chill, Secret Garden Party, Larmer Tree and Cambridge Folk Festival.
Between 2010 and 2012, Polly and the Billets Doux have embarked on eight headline tours of the UK and three busy festival seasons, stopping just long enough to write, record and release their latest Hold Fast EP in summer 2012, which gained great reviews from BBC 6 Music and much of the blogosphere including Folk Radio UK, For Folk’s Sake, The Line of Best Fit and The Blue Walrus. This latest collection of material perfectly demonstrates Polly’s beautiful gospel-inspired voice and the band’s truly original sound.
“Polly And The Billets Doux deliver a twee sort of nostalgia (all upright bass and brushed snares)…it falls inside the right end of the Imelda May/Fairground Attraction spectrum” The Independent
“From hot rocking thrills, to jazzy splendour to country darkness, the musical brief of Polly and the Billets Doux seems to be, if it sounds and feels good, go for it!” The Daily Mirror
This section: Gig Guide plus Club Events
Filed under: Gig Guide plus Club Events
- Luca Manning & Fergus McCreadie Celtic Connections
- Celtic Connections & Fallen Angels Club: Danni Nicholls
- Isobel Campbell Isobel Campbell with Hannah Fisher & Sorren Maclean and Nina Violet Celtic Connections
- Celtic Connections: SHHE SHHE + GRISLY FAYE Hug and Pint
- Rachael Dadd, The Glad Cafe Celtic Connections
- The Wandering Hearts and Zoe Graham, Celtic Connections
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- Celtic Connections 2020 – Fionnuala Boyle
- Americana City Halls, Celtic Connections 2020
- Breabach @15 Celtic Connections 2020
- Grit Orchestra Opening Concert Celtic Connections 2020
- Christmas Carousel The Platform
- Future Glue Christmas Party
- The Sensational Alex Harvey Experience Christmas & New Year Party
- Kirsteen Harvey Live, Cottiers
- Sounds in the Suburbs presents Leventime: A Celebration of Jackie Leven
- Glasgow Hospitals Christmas Concert 2019 Royal Concert Hall
- Irish fiddle player Michael Gorman Cd launch and Concert to celebrate his Glasgow connection
- Martin Stephenson & The Daintees OranMor
- Cottiers has Talent this Christmas