Merchant City Festival, 22 – 30 July, 2017
The Merchant City Festival bringing Scottish and international art and entertainment to Glasgow. Fabulous programme of street arts, music, theatre, food and drink, visual art, film, comedy, dance, fashion and design plus activities for children and families activities.
The festival provides a perfect showcase for the historic and architecturally unique Merchant City so it’s also fun just to have a wander around the location, try out the restaurants, bars and cafes and investigate the many independent shops.
Some Festival Highlights include:
Econtro Festival Showcase, The Old Fruitmarket, 22 July, 2017 at 7 p.m.
Spectacular stage shows from 5 of the UK’s most exciting carnival bands! Drums, brass, song, dance, costume and extravagance – hosted by Glasgow’s own SambaYaBamba,
With, From Manchester, Juba do Leao
Carnaval Transatlantico unite talented players of Rio samba from across the UK and beyond
Orkestra del Sol – Scotland’s answer to the celebratory wedding bands of Eastern Europe
The carnival cavalcade comes to town!
22 July, 2017 – 12 Noon.
Kicking off the Merchant City Festival – the parade will leave from Cathedral Precinct.
A colourful carnival procession with local national and international performers and groups celebrating the history and heritage of Glasgow. For all the Family!
An Evening With Graeme Obree
24 July, 2017 – 7.30 p.m. Glasgow City Halls, Candleriggs.
Join cycling legend Graeme Obree and learn about the bikes he has designed, built and ridden to create cycling history.
This event is part of the Bike Station’s celebration of the bike, which is 200 years old! Graeme Obree, nicknamed ‘The Flying Scotsman’, is a Scottish racing cyclist who twice broke the world hour record, in July 1993 and April 1994, and was the individual pursuit world champion in 1993 and 1995.
Inspirational and motivational, Graeme is famed for building world record breaking bikes. Join us to celebrate the bike and the man!
Further programme events will be added regularly – you can keep also keep abreast on Merchant City Facebook Page.
- Lockdown Video – Mic Clark
- Scottish Writers Showcase 2 Creative Conversations
- Calypso Windrush Caribbean Film Festival
- SHA Virtual Kiltwalk Weekend 2020
- La Belle et la Bête – Open Air Screening
- Scottish Writers Creative Conversation Showcase
- Smokehead Sessions: Dave Arcari – full concert livestream
- Vegan Cookery Workshop
- Art in Nature: Make a Mandala
- Researching Scotland’s Mountain Women: National Library of Scotland
- Online Quiz Night with Duglus T Stewart
- Blues ‘n’ Twos with Dave Arcari
- Sonnet Youth Social Club #2
- Sleep Workshops Woodlands Community
- Book Launch: New Shoots Old Roots (2)
- Duglus T Stewart – Dreaded Light Composer
- SEE YOU IN 10 YEARS WRITING COMPETITION for Teenagers
- Record Store Day – Love Music Glasgow
- “Monsters, Process and Mayhem” T.L. Huchu in conversation with Chikodili Emelumadu
- Alice – Watch Online GFT