LUX Scotland Shoot Shoot Shoot: LFMC 50th Anniversary, Talk & Book Launch CCA – Monday 23 January, 2017
Mon 23 January 2017
6.30pm, Free but ticketed, Cinema
Book via Eventbrite / 0141 352 4900
This event has been rescheduled from December 2016
LUX Scotland celebrates the launch of the LUX publication ‘Shoot Shoot Shoot: The First Decade of the London Film-Makers’ Co-operative 1966-76’, with an illustrated talk by Mark Webber.
Published to coincide with the 50th anniversary of the London Film-Makers’ Co-operative – LUX’s historical predecessor – this new book explores the formative years of the organisation by bringing together texts, interviews, images and a large number of archival documents.
Collectively run on a largely voluntary basis, the LFMC operated without funding throughout its early years. Nonetheless, it maintained a distribution office, cinema space and film workshop in each of the run-down, former industrial buildings in which it was based. This precarious but supportive environment stimulated a remarkable body of films and theoretical work that anticipated today’s diverse culture of artists’ moving image.
Initially founded in October 1966 as a non-commercial distributor of experimental films, the London Film-Makers’ Co-operative was soon reconfigured into a unique organisation that provided access to production facilities and developed a context for radical investigations of film as material. Its film workshop enabled artists to control every stage of the filmmaking process; a creative freedom that was often extended, through the creation of expanded cinema works, to the moment of projection.
Mark Webber, editor of ‘Shoot Shoot Shoot’, will present an illustrated talk that includes rarely seen documentary footage, archival materials and screenings of key films from the period. Copies of the book will be available for purchase at a discounted price.
Centre for Contemporary Arts
350 Sauchiehall Street
Glasgow G2 3JD
- Poetry Launches CCA – Stephen Watt, Derek Parkes and Mandy Haggith
- Sikorski Polish Club, Glasgow Doors Open Day 2019
- Rod Picott The Admiral Bar
- Opening GYFF Gala: The Farewell (PG)
- Something Fishy Clydebuilt Festival 2019
- The Wedding Planner, OranMor
- An Evening with Women at the Carlton Studios
- Clydebuilt Festival 2019
- Wullie Davidson’s Bus Pass Ramblings: St Andrews
- Glasgow Youth Film Festival 2019
- For Sama GFT
- Drag Kids, GFT Glasgow Youth Film Festival
- Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;Surrection GFT
- Iain Matthews at The Doublet Bar
- Tannahill Arts Festival Paisley
- Cleek the movie – Tannahill Arts Festival
- Adam Sutherland Tales ‘n’ Tunes Old Hairdressers
- The Glasgow Guild Talks 2019
- Ando Glaso Gypsy Music Short Course CCA
- Doghouse Roses & Dumb Instrument CCA