LUX Scotland Shoot Shoot Shoot: LFMC 50th Anniversary, Talk & Book Launch CCA – Monday 23 January, 2017
Mon 23 January 2017
6.30pm, Free but ticketed, Cinema
Book via Eventbrite / 0141 352 4900
This event has been rescheduled from December 2016
LUX Scotland celebrates the launch of the LUX publication ‘Shoot Shoot Shoot: The First Decade of the London Film-Makers’ Co-operative 1966-76’, with an illustrated talk by Mark Webber.
Published to coincide with the 50th anniversary of the London Film-Makers’ Co-operative – LUX’s historical predecessor – this new book explores the formative years of the organisation by bringing together texts, interviews, images and a large number of archival documents.
Collectively run on a largely voluntary basis, the LFMC operated without funding throughout its early years. Nonetheless, it maintained a distribution office, cinema space and film workshop in each of the run-down, former industrial buildings in which it was based. This precarious but supportive environment stimulated a remarkable body of films and theoretical work that anticipated today’s diverse culture of artists’ moving image.
Initially founded in October 1966 as a non-commercial distributor of experimental films, the London Film-Makers’ Co-operative was soon reconfigured into a unique organisation that provided access to production facilities and developed a context for radical investigations of film as material. Its film workshop enabled artists to control every stage of the filmmaking process; a creative freedom that was often extended, through the creation of expanded cinema works, to the moment of projection.
Mark Webber, editor of ‘Shoot Shoot Shoot’, will present an illustrated talk that includes rarely seen documentary footage, archival materials and screenings of key films from the period. Copies of the book will be available for purchase at a discounted price.
Centre for Contemporary Arts
350 Sauchiehall Street
Glasgow G2 3JD
- Scottish Writers Creative Conversation Showcase
- Smokehead Sessions: Dave Arcari – full concert livestream
- Vegan Cookery Workshop
- Art in Nature: Make a Mandala
- Researching Scotland’s Mountain Women: National Library of Scotland
- Online Quiz Night with Duglus T Stewart
- Blues ‘n’ Twos with Dave Arcari
- Sonnet Youth Social Club #2
- Sleep Workshops Woodlands Community
- Book Launch: New Shoots Old Roots (2)
- Duglus T Stewart – Dreaded Light Composer
- SEE YOU IN 10 YEARS WRITING COMPETITION for Teenagers
- Record Store Day – Love Music Glasgow
- “Monsters, Process and Mayhem” T.L. Huchu in conversation with Chikodili Emelumadu
- Alice – Watch Online GFT
- The Traitor Glasgow Film Theatre Online
- Govan’s Glories: Central Govan Walk Ian R. Mitchell
- Payback Claire MacLeary
- Her Century – National Library of Scotland
- Sounds in the Suburbs – Refuweegee Show