‘I Say Nothing’ Kelvingrove – introduction by Christine Borland
Tuesday 12 March, 2019 – 2 p.m. – 3 p.m.
Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum
Scottish artist Christine Borland will discuss her new artwork, ‘I Say Nothing’, co-commissioned by Glasgow Museums and 14-18 NOW, with Art Fund support. Part of nationwide centenary commemorations, the installation was made in response to Glasgow Museums’ World War I collection and is intended to stimulate reflection and debate on conflict past and present.
In 1918 and 1919, Glasgow Museums purchased a collection of boxes containing charms and amulets ‘worn by the fighting men in the Great War’. The handwritten title of one of the charms (a Chinese soap-stone monkey) is ‘I say nothing’. These, along with three mule hooves, a moss-filled pillow and a book of French gramma riddled with shrapnel holes, are amount the objects to which Christine Borland found herself drawn during her year of research at Glasgow Museums Resource Centre.
Of particular interest to the artist has been a modest white ceramic invalid feeder cup in the museums’ handling collection. The teapot-like object, examples of which were used both to nurse the sick during the war and force-feed hunger-striking suffragettes in the years running up to 1914, speaks of the duality of institutional care and brutality.
Through an expanded focus on this object, Borland explores the potential for a simple object to embody something much more than the reality of its humble form or material. While the stasis of storage – or, indeed, the passing of time – can render historical objects mute, I Say Nothing aims to give them a voice.
Situated on the South Balcony in Kelvingrove, Argyle Street, Glasgow, G3 8AG
Filed under: Art & artists Glasgow West End, Art, Photography, Exhibitions what's on-glasgow, Books, Talks, Poetry Events, What's On Glasgow West End: cinema, clubs, theatre, music, events, festivals, community and more
- Oscar Marzaroli Public Reception Streetworks
- Difference by Design Arts and Crafts Fair, Websters
- Santaland and Season’s Greetings Websters
- Julesbasar – Norwegian Christmas Fair Glasgow 2019
- Panto-Crime, Murder Mystery at Websters with Dinner & The Logans
- Nina Allan Speculative Fiction Writer – Creative Conversations
- After the Wedding, GFT
- Luce, GFT
- Havana Film Festival 2019
- Matchbox Cineclub Best of Final Girls Berlin 2019 CCA
- Then And Now & What Could Be: Housing Rights & Solidarity CCA
- Libre / To the Four Winds Alliance Francaise Glasgow
- Miles Davis: Birth of the Cool GFT
- Meeting Gorbachev GFT
- CineCard Preview: The Report GFT
- French Film Festival GFT 2019
- Sorry We Missed You, GFT
- Migrant Voice Feel at Home Short Films
- The Siren Awakes Book Launch – Linda Jackson review by Pat Byrne
- Publishing Scotland: Book Week Scotland 2019