‘I Say Nothing’ Kelvingrove – introduction by Christine Borland
Tuesday 12 March, 2019 – 2 p.m. – 3 p.m.
Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum
Scottish artist Christine Borland will discuss her new artwork, ‘I Say Nothing’, co-commissioned by Glasgow Museums and 14-18 NOW, with Art Fund support. Part of nationwide centenary commemorations, the installation was made in response to Glasgow Museums’ World War I collection and is intended to stimulate reflection and debate on conflict past and present.
In 1918 and 1919, Glasgow Museums purchased a collection of boxes containing charms and amulets ‘worn by the fighting men in the Great War’. The handwritten title of one of the charms (a Chinese soap-stone monkey) is ‘I say nothing’. These, along with three mule hooves, a moss-filled pillow and a book of French gramma riddled with shrapnel holes, are amount the objects to which Christine Borland found herself drawn during her year of research at Glasgow Museums Resource Centre.
Of particular interest to the artist has been a modest white ceramic invalid feeder cup in the museums’ handling collection. The teapot-like object, examples of which were used both to nurse the sick during the war and force-feed hunger-striking suffragettes in the years running up to 1914, speaks of the duality of institutional care and brutality.
Through an expanded focus on this object, Borland explores the potential for a simple object to embody something much more than the reality of its humble form or material. While the stasis of storage – or, indeed, the passing of time – can render historical objects mute, I Say Nothing aims to give them a voice.
Situated on the South Balcony in Kelvingrove, Argyle Street, Glasgow, G3 8AG
Filed under: Art & artists Glasgow West End, Art, Photography, Exhibitions what's on-glasgow, Books, Talks, Poetry Events, What's On Glasgow West End: cinema, clubs, theatre, music, events, festivals, community and more
- Opening GYFF Gala: The Farewell (PG)
- Something Fishy Clydebuilt Festival 2019
- The Wedding Planner, OranMor
- An Evening with Women at the Carlton Studios
- Clydebuilt Festival 2019
- Wullie Davidson’s Bus Pass Ramblings: St Andrews
- Glasgow Youth Film Festival 2019
- For Sama GFT
- Drag Kids, GFT Glasgow Youth Film Festival
- Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;Surrection GFT
- Iain Matthews at The Doublet Bar
- Tannahill Arts Festival Paisley
- Cleek the movie – Tannahill Arts Festival
- Adam Sutherland Tales ‘n’ Tunes Old Hairdressers
- The Glasgow Guild Talks 2019
- Ando Glaso Gypsy Music Short Course CCA
- Doghouse Roses & Dumb Instrument CCA
- Take One Action Film Festival 2019 CCA
- Women’s Support Project – Abused: The Untold Story, GFT
- Kaleidoscope Realms, Matchbox Cine Club