The 2016 Homeless World Cup Glasgow
The event will take place in George Square
Sunday, July 10, 2016 – Saturday, July 16, 2016.
Ban Ki-moon, Secretary General of the United Nations, sent his greetings to everyone involved in the competition:
“The Homeless World Cup is a pioneering social movement that uses football to inspire and promote positive change in people’s lives. Its growth since the first competition in 2003 is remarkable. The Homeless World Cup has impacted the lives of more than one million people around the world.”
The square will be converted into an outdoor street football venue with three purpose built pitches with seating.
Fifty one countries will participate in the event and in total 512 players will arrive in Glasgow.
Entry is free.
The event will celebrate and highlight the year-round life-changing work of the Homeless World Cup National Partner Network.
“I’ve learnt in recent years the impact the Homeless World Cup Foundation has across the globe, and it’s inspiring and humbling that more than 1million people have been able to get their lives on the move.”
“Obviously, I’ll be supporting Team Scotland, but I hope the tournament is a brilliant success and the people of Glasgow come out in their numbers in July.” (Scott Brown, Scottish Captain is a Homeless World Cup ambassador. )
The Homeless World Cup, co-founded by Mel Young, co-founder of The Big Issue magazine in Scotland, has supported over one million people across the world.
- Sonica Festival 2022
- Trans – I Got Life at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Cicada, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Temple Grandin plus Recorded Q & A, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Mass, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Nightmare Alley, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Memory Box, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Belfast, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Unchained Comedy Club at McChuills
- Compass Gallery: Gary Anderson RSW : Thoughts and Contemplations
- Scottish Opera Breath Cycle Programme for Long Covid Patients
- Refugee Week Conference 2022
- Kavya Prize – New Writers Prize To Celebrate Scotland’s Ethnically Diverse Communities
- Second International Alasdair Gray Conference
- People’s Palace 124th Birthday Celebration
- Glasgow National Park City AGM
- Spotlight on Stress- free online masterclass
- Balloch Open Mic Blog: A New Kid On The Block
- Beyond Form Creative Writing Courses
- Glasgow Film Festival 2022 – More Events Announced