The 2016 Homeless World Cup Glasgow
The event will take place in George Square
Sunday, July 10, 2016 – Saturday, July 16, 2016.
Ban Ki-moon, Secretary General of the United Nations, sent his greetings to everyone involved in the competition:
“The Homeless World Cup is a pioneering social movement that uses football to inspire and promote positive change in people’s lives. Its growth since the first competition in 2003 is remarkable. The Homeless World Cup has impacted the lives of more than one million people around the world.”
The square will be converted into an outdoor street football venue with three purpose built pitches with seating.
Fifty one countries will participate in the event and in total 512 players will arrive in Glasgow.
Entry is free.
The event will celebrate and highlight the year-round life-changing work of the Homeless World Cup National Partner Network.
“I’ve learnt in recent years the impact the Homeless World Cup Foundation has across the globe, and it’s inspiring and humbling that more than 1million people have been able to get their lives on the move.”
“Obviously, I’ll be supporting Team Scotland, but I hope the tournament is a brilliant success and the people of Glasgow come out in their numbers in July.” (Scott Brown, Scottish Captain is a Homeless World Cup ambassador. )
The Homeless World Cup, co-founded by Mel Young, co-founder of The Big Issue magazine in Scotland, has supported over one million people across the world.
- Art in Nature: Make a Mandala
- Researching Scotland’s Mountain Women: National Library of Scotland
- Online Quiz Night with Duglus T Stewart
- Blues ‘n’ Twos with Dave Arcari
- Sonnet Youth Social Club #2
- Sleep Workshops Woodlands Community
- Book Launch: New Shoots Old Roots (2)
- Duglus T Stewart – Dreaded Light Composer
- SEE YOU IN 10 YEARS WRITING COMPETITION for Teenagers
- Record Store Day – Love Music Glasgow
- “Monsters, Process and Mayhem” T.L. Huchu in conversation with Chikodili Emelumadu
- Alice – Watch Online GFT
- The Traitor Glasgow Film Theatre Online
- Govan’s Glories: Central Govan Walk Ian R. Mitchell
- Payback Claire MacLeary
- Her Century – National Library of Scotland
- Sounds in the Suburbs – Refuweegee Show
- Lindisfarne at Cottiers
- Starchild Sunflower Sanctuary – Autism
- Sound & Vision Drive-In Summer 2020