The 2016 Homeless World Cup Glasgow
The event will take place in George Square
Sunday, July 10, 2016 – Saturday, July 16, 2016.
Ban Ki-moon, Secretary General of the United Nations, sent his greetings to everyone involved in the competition:
“The Homeless World Cup is a pioneering social movement that uses football to inspire and promote positive change in people’s lives. Its growth since the first competition in 2003 is remarkable. The Homeless World Cup has impacted the lives of more than one million people around the world.”
The square will be converted into an outdoor street football venue with three purpose built pitches with seating.
Fifty one countries will participate in the event and in total 512 players will arrive in Glasgow.
Entry is free.
The event will celebrate and highlight the year-round life-changing work of the Homeless World Cup National Partner Network.
“I’ve learnt in recent years the impact the Homeless World Cup Foundation has across the globe, and it’s inspiring and humbling that more than 1million people have been able to get their lives on the move.”
“Obviously, I’ll be supporting Team Scotland, but I hope the tournament is a brilliant success and the people of Glasgow come out in their numbers in July.” (Scott Brown, Scottish Captain is a Homeless World Cup ambassador. )
The Homeless World Cup, co-founded by Mel Young, co-founder of The Big Issue magazine in Scotland, has supported over one million people across the world.
- ‘A Place for the Work and the Human Being’ Kelvin Hall
- From Lens to Pen, Finnieston
- Hitsville The Making of Motown Black History Month Glasgow
- Scotland Loves Anime 10 Anniversary at GFT
- American Woman GFT
- Judy GFT
- 48 Hours Film Project Part 1 GFT
- Her Century: Scottish Women on Film GFT
- The Relative Worlds GFT plus Q and A
- Mòd 2019 National Theatre of Scotland – Rocket Post screening + family drama workshop
- Mòd 2019 CCA
- European Art House Cinema Day GFT
- Halloween at GFT 2019
- Africa in Motion Film Festival 2019 Glasgow
- Cinemasters at GFT: Quentin Tarantino
- The Day Shall Come GFT
- The Joker, Cineworld Glasgow
- The Monster and Mary Shelley, Paisley Arts Centre
- Story – Party True Dating Stories, Cottiers
- Fright Night at Websters Theatre