Dias de los Muertos, Stories, Poems and Songs, CCA, 2 November, 2017
Dias De Los Muertos is a holiday celebrated throughout Mexico for people to honour the deceased with lively celebrations and activities the dead enjoyed in life. Dias De Los Muertos recognizes death as a natural part of the human experience. Families celebrate the lives of their loved ones by taking fruit, nuts, tequila, sugar skulls and garlands of flowers to the graveyard to entice the spirits out.
Peace charity, Dove Tales in partnership with the Scottish Writers’ Centre will honour those who have died in war, whether in current conflicts such as the terrible war in the Yemen, or in the historical ones fought by our fathers and grandfathers.
The aime of Dove Tales is to support and promote Good Life, Good Death, Good Grief, to encourage more open and supportive attitudes to death, dying and bereavement during death awareness week, Scotland.
Instead of food and drink, we will be enticing the spirits out with poems, stories, and music ‘To Absent Friends,’ as a celebration to honour the lives of those no longer with us, and the courage of the living, particularly the brave writers who speak out against corrupt regimes.
The event will be hosted by Liz Niven, one of Scotland’s most prolific poets in both Scots and English. She has held writing fellowships all over Scotland and collaborated with artists, photographers, sculptors – and even a water diviner. Liz is one of the few poets to be the subject of a television documentary – her residency at Inverness Airport was recorded in Poet on a Plane.
The event will be followed by an open mic. If you would like to read, please submit your work to: info@scottishwriterscentre
For more information on Dove Tales, founded by Jean Rafferty: www.dovetalesscotland.co.u
This is a FREE event for all
The SWC is a registered Charity, SCO40823. We welcome donations to help us bring future events to you.
Tuesday 2nd November 2017
CCA: Club Room at 7:00pm
CCA: Centre for Contemporary Arts
350 Sauchiehall Street
Glasgow, G2 3JD
- Alternative Pantos in Glasgow 2019
- Oscar Marzaroli Public Reception Streetworks
- Difference by Design Arts and Crafts Fair, Websters
- Santaland and Season’s Greetings Websters
- Julesbasar – Norwegian Christmas Fair Glasgow 2019
- Panto-Crime, Murder Mystery at Websters with Dinner & The Logans
- Nina Allan Speculative Fiction Writer – Creative Conversations
- After the Wedding, GFT
- Luce, GFT
- Havana Film Festival 2019
- Matchbox Cineclub Best of Final Girls Berlin 2019 CCA
- Then And Now & What Could Be: Housing Rights & Solidarity CCA
- Libre / To the Four Winds Alliance Francaise Glasgow
- Miles Davis: Birth of the Cool GFT
- Meeting Gorbachev GFT
- CineCard Preview: The Report GFT
- French Film Festival GFT 2019
- Sorry We Missed You, GFT
- Migrant Voice Feel at Home Short Films
- The Siren Awakes Book Launch – Linda Jackson review by Pat Byrne