Dias de los Muertos, Stories, Poems and Songs, CCA, 2 November, 2017
Dias De Los Muertos is a holiday celebrated throughout Mexico for people to honour the deceased with lively celebrations and activities the dead enjoyed in life. Dias De Los Muertos recognizes death as a natural part of the human experience. Families celebrate the lives of their loved ones by taking fruit, nuts, tequila, sugar skulls and garlands of flowers to the graveyard to entice the spirits out.
Peace charity, Dove Tales in partnership with the Scottish Writers’ Centre will honour those who have died in war, whether in current conflicts such as the terrible war in the Yemen, or in the historical ones fought by our fathers and grandfathers.
The aime of Dove Tales is to support and promote Good Life, Good Death, Good Grief, to encourage more open and supportive attitudes to death, dying and bereavement during death awareness week, Scotland.
Instead of food and drink, we will be enticing the spirits out with poems, stories, and music ‘To Absent Friends,’ as a celebration to honour the lives of those no longer with us, and the courage of the living, particularly the brave writers who speak out against corrupt regimes.
The event will be hosted by Liz Niven, one of Scotland’s most prolific poets in both Scots and English. She has held writing fellowships all over Scotland and collaborated with artists, photographers, sculptors – and even a water diviner. Liz is one of the few poets to be the subject of a television documentary – her residency at Inverness Airport was recorded in Poet on a Plane.
The event will be followed by an open mic. If you would like to read, please submit your work to: info@scottishwriterscentre
For more information on Dove Tales, founded by Jean Rafferty: www.dovetalesscotland.co.u
This is a FREE event for all
The SWC is a registered Charity, SCO40823. We welcome donations to help us bring future events to you.
Tuesday 2nd November 2017
CCA: Club Room at 7:00pm
CCA: Centre for Contemporary Arts
350 Sauchiehall Street
Glasgow, G2 3JD
- LGBTI Elders Online Social Dance Club
- Learn How To Use Moving Image Archive, National Library of Scotland
- National Library of Scotland Film Friday
- Makar to Makar, Jackie Kay with Imtiaz Dharker and Suzanne Bonnar
- Life is too short online readings and recorded performances
- ‘A Handful of Dates’ Africa in Motion Online
- Historic Significance of Ellisland Farm, Centre for Robert Burns
- The Atom: A Love Affair GFT watch online
- Best of Africa in Motion Shorts – Shoeshine screening online
- BAKOSÓ: AFROBEATS DE CUBA FILM – Africa in Motion
- Online Quiz Night with Duglus T Stewart
- Create & Connect Showcase. Glasgow Women’s Library
- Live from a Tenement – Chiara Berardelli
- National Theatre Live Events GFT
- Singing with Beth, Live on Facebook
- Twitter Chat, Little Women at GFT Online Film Club
- Sounds in the Suburbs Refuweegee Fundraiser
- Nice n Sleazy Big Weekend of Streaming Live
- The Poets’ Time – weekly meetings with Linda Jackson on Zoom
- Creative Conversations: Iain Maloney, Novelist and Poet – Zoom Event