Dead Cat Bounce by Kevin Scott, Launch of debut novel at Waterstones Sauchiehall Street, Thursday June 29, 2017
An evening with Kevin Scott, author of Dead Cat Bounce
Dead Cat Bounce, the debut novel of Kevin Scott, Business Correspondent at The Herald, will be launched at Waterstones, 153-157 Sauchiehall St, Glasgow G2 3EW
Thursday June 29th, at 6:30pm.
Set between gangland Glasgow and banking London, Dead Cat Bounce is a black comedy that narrows the gap between two supposedly different worlds.
Scott’s novel is an assured and audacious black comedy of sibling rivalries and a satirical comment on the failures of modern society.
Seonaid Francis, Director of ThunderPoint Publishing writes, “With a sense of the absurd Scott brings humour and comedy to a tragic story and measures the fine line between legality and criminality.”
Scott says of his writing, “I have brought the facts of my day job to the fiction of my novel. Sometimes the difference between right and wrong depends on your point of view and your position in society. In this novel I have tried to blur the lines to highlight just how thin these lines are.”
Synopsis of Dead Cat Bounce
“Well, either way, you’ll have to speak to your brother today because…unless I get my money by tomorrow morning there’s not going to be a funeral.”
When your 11 year old brother has been tragically killed in a car accident, you might think that organising his funeral would take priority. But when Nicky’s coffin, complete with Nicky’s body, goes missing, deadbeat loser Matt has only 26 hours in which to find the £20,000 he owes a Glasgow gangster or explain to his grieving mother why there’s not going to be a funeral.
Enter middle brother, Pete, successful City trader with an expensive wife, expensive children, and an expensive villa in Tuscany. Pete’s watches cost £20,000, but he has his own problems, and Matt doesn’t want his help anyway.
Seething with old resentments, the betrayals of the past and the double-dealings of the present, the two brothers must find a way to work together to retrieve Nicky’s body, discovering along the way that they are not so different after all.
About the Author:
Kevin Scott graduated from the University of Glasgow Creative Writing MLitt programme with distinction in 2013, and was subsequently shortlisted for the Sceptre Prize.
His short stories have been published in a number of magazines including Octavius, Fractured West and The Rusty Nail and on www.glasgowwestend.co.uk. He also previously edited the literary journal From Glasgow to Saturn and is a member of the Glasgow collective G2 Writers.
Away from creative writing he works as a journalist, where he is Business Correspondent for The Herald and and is a contributor to The List.
Dead Cat Bounce
ISBN: 978-1-910946-19-0 (Kindle)
ISBN: 978-1-910946-18-3 (Paperback)
Publication: April 20th 2017
Extent: 255 pp
Price (Kindle): £4.99
Price (Paperback): £9.99
Genre: Fiction – Crime; Myster
Dead Cat Bounce is available in ebook and paperback from selected bookshops, Amazon and other online retailers.
- Document Human Rights Film Festival 2019
- Paisley Halloween Festival 2019
- Ghost Stories from Around the World, Britannia Panopticon
- Panto-Crime, Murder Mystery at Websters with Dinner & The Logans
- Samhain: fire and jam session Halloween, North Kelvin Meadow
- Birds of Chicago The Doublet Glasgow
- Let’s Go Green Family Day Kelvin Hall
- Express Yourself Halloween Party 2019 Project Cafe
- Mary Miller, Author, on Jane Haining – a life of love and courage
- Art Exhibition at The Arlington Baths Club
- The Flying Dug Quiz Night, Glasgow
- Halloween at The Children’s Wood and Meadow 2019
- The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Halloween at OranMor
- Moogety Halloween 2019
- Scottish Writers’ Centre From bytes to bestseller with Jonathan Whitelaw
- Guttersnipe at the Old Hairdressers
- A Gift to Glasgow from New York, The Hunterian
- An Evening with Mary Irvine – ‘My Greek Love Affair’
- Monos ay GFT
- The King, GFT