Day of the Dead Glesga 2016, St Luke’s 29 October, 2016
The spirit of Mexico’s most famous festival Día de los Muertos – Day of the Dead – returns to Glasgow descending on one of the city’s oldest churches, Saint Luke’s, to host its biggest fiesta to date!
Promising a party hotter than a scotch-bonnet this Halloween weekend, prepare for a piñata-packed night of live music, immersive performances, Aztec rituals, Latin inspired tunes, face-painting, plenty of tequila, cocktails and Mexican food.
Plus more to be announced…
Tickets £10 Adv
***** Rapido Mariachi (LIVE)****Scotland’s best loved sombrero-topped four-piece, famed for their Barrowlands appearance with Canadian art rockers Arcade Fire, will take to the stage to perform their danceable, alternative pop twist on the mariachi tradition.
*******SENOR POCO LOCO *******Transporting the fiesta to Mexico City and beyond will be resident BALKANARAMA DJ Ewan Evans, aka, Señor Poco Loco, spinning an exotic mix of heavy Latin rhythms, classic tunes, and tropical disco.
*****IMMERSIVE PERFORMANCES*******Recreating the festival’s carnival sprit – led by Glasgow’s Janine Fearne (SambaYaBamba & G.O.D) – dancers & physical theatre performers will pay homage to the afterlife with their interpretive take on Mexican folklore.
******FACEPAINTERS*******Facepainters will be on hand throughout the night to metamorphosize partygoers into calavera skulls.
****** FOOD & DRINK******And keeping the fiesta fuelled, Saint Luke’s bar and restaurant will be offering up a Mexican inspired menu and colourful selection of classic cocktails and spirits
- Govanhill Children’s Book Festival
- Hannah Rarity at Cottiers (rescheduled)
- Kim Edgar and Rhona Macfarlane at Cottiers
- Piping Live! Family Fun Day
- Scotland on Tour – The Rum Shack, Glasgow
- The Paul McKenna Band – Websters Theatre
- The Mould That Changed The World – Websters Theatre
- Access Film Club: Hot Fuzz
- Blind Ambition at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Eric Ravilious: Drawn To War at GFT
- Notre Dame On Fire at GFT
- Nightclubbing: The Birth of Punk Rock in New York City
- The Harder They Come – 50th Annivesary
- Break the Cycle of Homelessness with Social Bite
- Occupy! Occupy! Occupy! – graphic novel launch
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- Govanhill’s Got Talent
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Review – The Way Home by Robin Scott-Elliot
- Beyond the Rainbow (100th Birthday Celebration for Judy Garland)
- CINE(STHESIA )- Last Day of the Trams