Black History Month Celebration – Open Mic with Tawona Sithole, CCA, 25 October, 2016
Open Mic with Host, Tawona Sithole
25 October, 2016 7 p.m.
CCA, 350 Sauchiehall Street, G2 3JD
Tawona Sithole is a poet, playwright, and musician who enjoys the challenge of new creative experiences. Tiwona started writing and performing his work, and published his first collection of poetry in 2006. He continues his creative journey by hosting and facilitating writing workshops, working in education and theatre, radio appearances, writer residencies, event organisation and studio recording. He delivers workshops in schools, community groups and works with all ages, ranges of ability.
Originally from Zimbabwe and living in Glasgow sharing his heritage with others keeps him grounded, and helps increase awareness of lesser-known perspectives of his experiences as an African. Using these influences, he has developed a contemporary style of expression, through mbira (traditional Zimbabwean music instrument), spoken word, and creative writing and drama. He often uses humour to challenge stereotypes and misinformation. Tiwona draws on his challenging experiences (such as racism) of living within a different culture from his own creatively linking cultures together.
Tawona is co-founder of Seeds of Thought a none-funded arts group working to promote creative writing and performance. He often collaborates with writers and artists working across multiple disciplines.
This is a Free Event for All
- Monos ay GFT
- The King, GFT
- Non-Fiction, GFT
- SQIFF 2019 Black History Month: Calalai: In Betweenness + shorts
- Chinese Visual Festival CCA
- Mòd 2019 National Theatre of Scotland – Rocket Post screening + family drama workshop
- Mòd 2019 Gaelic Film Screenings: A taste of BBC Alba – Na Millenni-Gaels CCA
- French Film Festival GFT 2019
- The Irishman GFT
- Lost Lives plus Q & A
- Malcolm X 35 mm GFT
- Halloween at GFT 2019
- Preview: Pink Wall with Q & A
- Africa in Motion Film Festival 2019 Glasgow
- Glasgow Wood Recycling, October Sale
- Hitsville The Making of Motown Black History Month Glasgow
- Branagh Theatre Live – A Winter’s Tale GFT
- Cinemasters at GFT: Quentin Tarantino
- Cancer Support Scotland Christmas Fayre 2019
- One Night at The Disco, Riverside Museum