Black History Month Celebration – Open Mic with Tawona Sithole, CCA, 25 October, 2016
Open Mic with Host, Tawona Sithole
25 October, 2016 7 p.m.
CCA, 350 Sauchiehall Street, G2 3JD
Tawona Sithole is a poet, playwright, and musician who enjoys the challenge of new creative experiences. Tiwona started writing and performing his work, and published his first collection of poetry in 2006. He continues his creative journey by hosting and facilitating writing workshops, working in education and theatre, radio appearances, writer residencies, event organisation and studio recording. He delivers workshops in schools, community groups and works with all ages, ranges of ability.
Originally from Zimbabwe and living in Glasgow sharing his heritage with others keeps him grounded, and helps increase awareness of lesser-known perspectives of his experiences as an African. Using these influences, he has developed a contemporary style of expression, through mbira (traditional Zimbabwean music instrument), spoken word, and creative writing and drama. He often uses humour to challenge stereotypes and misinformation. Tiwona draws on his challenging experiences (such as racism) of living within a different culture from his own creatively linking cultures together.
Tawona is co-founder of Seeds of Thought a none-funded arts group working to promote creative writing and performance. He often collaborates with writers and artists working across multiple disciplines.
This is a Free Event for All
- National Theatre Live Events GFT
- Singing with Beth, Live on Facebook
- Twitter Chat, Little Women at GFT Online Film Club
- Online Quiz Night with Duglus T Stewart
- Sounds in the Suburbs Refuweegee Fundraiser
- Nice n Sleazy Big Weekend of Streaming Live
- The Poets’ Time – weekly meetings with Linda Jackson on Zoom
- Creative Conversations: Iain Maloney, Novelist and Poet – Zoom Event
- Ian R. Mitchell – Some Images From Glasgow’s Past
- Stay at Home Literary Fringe Festival
- Sonnet Youth Social Club
- Creative Conversations, Monday Lunchtimes, University of Glasgow Chapel
- Jamaica Kincaid: novelist and writer – Creative Conversations ZOOM EVENT
- Zoom Event – A reading and Q&A with renowned poet Peter Gizzi
- Aye Write – Big Book Weekend Virtual Festival
- Woodlands Community – Free Zoom Meditation and Discussion
- From Glasgow to Saturn Issue 44 – read online
- The Specialized Big Isofest
- Film Friday Art in the Archive National Library of Scotland
- Sofa Fest – digital entertainment