Black History Month Celebration – Open Mic with Tawona Sithole, CCA, 25 October, 2016
Open Mic with Host, Tawona Sithole
25 October, 2016 7 p.m.
CCA, 350 Sauchiehall Street, G2 3JD
Tawona Sithole is a poet, playwright, and musician who enjoys the challenge of new creative experiences. Tiwona started writing and performing his work, and published his first collection of poetry in 2006. He continues his creative journey by hosting and facilitating writing workshops, working in education and theatre, radio appearances, writer residencies, event organisation and studio recording. He delivers workshops in schools, community groups and works with all ages, ranges of ability.
Originally from Zimbabwe and living in Glasgow sharing his heritage with others keeps him grounded, and helps increase awareness of lesser-known perspectives of his experiences as an African. Using these influences, he has developed a contemporary style of expression, through mbira (traditional Zimbabwean music instrument), spoken word, and creative writing and drama. He often uses humour to challenge stereotypes and misinformation. Tiwona draws on his challenging experiences (such as racism) of living within a different culture from his own creatively linking cultures together.
Tawona is co-founder of Seeds of Thought a none-funded arts group working to promote creative writing and performance. He often collaborates with writers and artists working across multiple disciplines.
This is a Free Event for All
- Scottish Opera Breath Cycle Programme for Long Covid Patients
- Refugee Week Conference 2022
- Kavya Prize – New Writers Prize To Celebrate Scotland’s Ethnically Diverse Communities
- Second International Alasdair Gray Conference
- People’s Palace 124th Birthday Celebration
- Glasgow National Park City AGM
- Spotlight on Stress- free online masterclass
- Balloch Open Mic Blog: A New Kid On The Block
- Beyond Form Creative Writing Courses
- Glasgow Film Festival 2022 – More Events Announced
- Carlton Jug Band at The Clutha
- Report Launch – Tackling Food Poverty
- Sense Scotland Christmas Concert Online
- Calton Ceilidh Open Mic 14 December, 2021
- Hope GFT
- No Radio Silence – launch of film by Unity Sisters
- Roma Night at The Rum Shack
- Hugh Reed and the Velvet Underpants, Carlton Studios
- A Christmas Carol- A Hauntingly Hilarious Family Panto!
- Be Bop Bairns Christmas Party