Black History Month Celebration – Open Mic with Tawona Sithole, CCA, 25 October, 2016
Open Mic with Host, Tawona Sithole
25 October, 2016 7 p.m.
CCA, 350 Sauchiehall Street, G2 3JD
Tawona Sithole is a poet, playwright, and musician who enjoys the challenge of new creative experiences. Tiwona started writing and performing his work, and published his first collection of poetry in 2006. He continues his creative journey by hosting and facilitating writing workshops, working in education and theatre, radio appearances, writer residencies, event organisation and studio recording. He delivers workshops in schools, community groups and works with all ages, ranges of ability.
Originally from Zimbabwe and living in Glasgow sharing his heritage with others keeps him grounded, and helps increase awareness of lesser-known perspectives of his experiences as an African. Using these influences, he has developed a contemporary style of expression, through mbira (traditional Zimbabwean music instrument), spoken word, and creative writing and drama. He often uses humour to challenge stereotypes and misinformation. Tiwona draws on his challenging experiences (such as racism) of living within a different culture from his own creatively linking cultures together.
Tawona is co-founder of Seeds of Thought a none-funded arts group working to promote creative writing and performance. He often collaborates with writers and artists working across multiple disciplines.
This is a Free Event for All
- The Homebird Sessions at Cottiers
- A Night of Grief and Misery, Cottiers
- Loch Lomond Highland Games 2022
- Alice In The Cities – GFT
- I’ve Heard the Mermaids Singing – GFT
- Nitram at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Tigers at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Take 2. Paddington at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Ithaka plus Q & A with John Shipton, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Purple Rain, late night at Glasgow Film Theatre
- The Princess, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Sma’ Shot Day 2022
- Alasdair Gray’s Lanark: A World Made on Paper – The Hunterian
- Journey from Jamaica iBrina – Merchant City Festival
- No Evictions Glasgow Open Meeting
- Restricted Code, The Glad Cafe
- Chris McGlade: Forgiveness- Websters Theatre
- Pippin The Musical at Websters
- Luzzu at GFT
- Reel Roots: Windrush at GFT