Aye Write: Karen Campbell Introduces… Kirsty Capes, Louise Nealon and Emily Edwards
Saturday 14 May, 2022 at 11.30 a.m.
The celebrated Scottish author Karen Campbell introduces this panel of debut writers.
Kirsty Capes – Careless
Sometimes it’s easy to fall between the cracks. At 3.04 p.m. on a hot, sticky day in June, Bess finds out she’s pregnant. She could tell her social worker Henry, but he’s useless. She should tell her foster mother, Lisa, but she won’t understand. She really ought to tell Boy, but she hasn’t spoken to him in weeks. Bess knows more than anyone that love doesn’t come without conditions. But this isn’t a love story…
Louise Nealon – Snowflake
Debbie White lives on a dairy farm with her mother, Maeve, and her uncle, Billy. Billy sleeps out in a caravan in the garden with a bottle of whiskey and the stars overhead for company. Maeve spends her days recording her dreams, which she believes to be prophecies.
This world is Debbie’s normal, but she is about to step into life as a student at Trinity College Dublin. As she navigates between sophisticated new friends and the family bubble, things begin to unravel.
Startling, fresh and utterly unique, Snowflake is a story of messy families, messier friendships and how new chapters often mean starting right back at the beginning.
Emily Edwards – The Herd
Elizabeth and Bryony are polar opposites but their unexpected friendship has always worked. They’re the best of friends, and godmothers to each other’s daughters – because they trust that the safety of their children is both of their top priority. But what if their choice could harm your own child? Little do they know that they differ radically over one very important issue. And when Bryony, afraid of being judged, tells what is supposed to be a harmless white lie before a child’s birthday party, the consequences are more catastrophic than either of them could ever have imagined.
Photo Credits © Jim McEwan, Sophie Davidson & Adam Luszniak
- The Burning Season GFF 2024
- Woken GFF24
- GFF24 Special Event: The Wizard of Oz
- Tickets on sale Glasgow Film Festival 2024
- The Dead Don’t Hurt at GFF
- Filmmaking with Kevin Macdonald at Glasgow Film Festival 2024
- Perfect Days
- Blue Sunshine
- Late Bloomers GFF24
- Glasgow FrightFest 2024 All You Need Is Death
- Brothers Glasgow Film Festival 2024
- Asog Glasgow Film Festival 2024
- Books at the Botanics
- Love Lies Bleeding, GFF24, review by Pat Byrne
- Glasgow Music Festival 2024
- Sarah Smith World Hearing Day Dennistoun Library
- Clairmont – Lesley McDowell Book Launch
- Love Lies Bleeding Opening Gala Glasgow Film Festival 2024
- Under One Roof – Taking Care of Your Tenement
- Glasgow Literary and Music Lounge at The Scotia Bar