Aye Write 2023: Jim Carruth and Liz Lochhead – The Tannahill Event
A Happy Makar Birthday
Sunday 28 May, 2023, 4.15 p.m. – 5.15 p.m.
Glasgow Royal Concert Hall, 2 Sauchiehall Stgreet, Glasgow G2 3NY
Join Glasgow’s two living laureates to celebrate two milestone birthdays.
Liz Lochhead has just turned 75 and has been Makar for both city and country and has been awarded the Queen’s Gold Medal for Poetry. A gifted poet and playwright she is simply one our nation’s greatest living writers. A special 50th anniversary edition of her ground breaking debut collection Memo for Spring came out last year reveals a poetry that remains fresh and vital today; one that continues to inspire many other writers including Ali Smith, Jackie Kay and Carol Ann Duffy.
Jim Carruth is the current poet laureate of the city and has just qualified for his free bus pass. An award-winning poet in his own right he has just released Far Field – the final book of The Auchensale Trilogy, a series capturing the changing rural landscape that has been twenty five years in the making. In this new book he uses the paintings of the Glasgow Boys as the starting point for a series of memorable poems to love, loss and community.
It promises to be a very special event with both makars sharing poems old and new, talking about their friendship and why they have no intention of retiring any time soon.
This event is supported by The Tannahill Fund.
- Glasgow Literary and Music Lounge at The Scotia Bar
- The Burning Season (2023) review Pat Byrne
- Govan Music Festival – Glasgow Barons
- Full Programme Announced for Glasgow Film Festival 2024
- Second Hand and Vintage Sale Britannia Panopticon
- Perfect Days
- Blue Sunshine
- Seeing Glasgow: An Artist’s View – Avril Patron
- Ajay Close Creative Conversations
- Maria Fusco – Creative Conversations
- Glasgow Goes Green at Arc: Festival Event
- WestFest 2024 – Glasgow West End
- FrightFest at Glasgow Film Festival 2024
- Books at the Green with Chris Dolan
- Cinemarc: Women’s Work
- Creative Conversations: Donna McLean
- Fundraiser for Medicin Sans Frontieres
- Music Broth at The Mitchell Library
- Creative Conversations, University of Glasgow
- Greenpeace Fundraiser Gig – Maz & The Phantasms, Motopia, Atlas Works, Louis Rive