Alan Reid and Rob van Sante, Charlie’s Restaurant, Mugdock Country Park, Friday 6 November, 2015
ALAN REID and ROB van SANTE (SCOTTISH FOLK)
Charlie’s Restaurant at Mugdock Country Park next Friday, Nov.6th, 2015
Tickets £10 – includes first drink or 4 tickets for £25 (includes first drink)… call to book 0141-956-6775 (limited special offer tickets)
Alan and Rob present a lively show rooted largely in the music of Scotland, its rich and varied history and landscape providing much of the inspiration for their material. Combining their musical talents the duo offer a heady blend of seamless harmonies underpinned by sensitive arrangements on piano, guitars and accordion and topped by an engaging delivery peppered with dry humour and pithy anecdotes.
ALAN REID was born in Glasgow . He was a vital member of the celebrated Scottish folk group Battlefield Band from 1969 till 2010. He helped cement the band’s international reputation with his story- style songwriting and sensitive renditions of traditional song. From achingly beautiful ballads (like The Riccarton Tollman’s Daughter and The Pleasure will be Mine) to an entire musical cycle centered on the life and times of John Paul Jones, the Scots born American naval hero. Alan has long fostered a reputation for songs in English and Scots that are strong in melody and historical content.
In 2009 he was nominated in the Scots Traditions Awards in the ‘Composer of the Year’ category. He also contributed in Linn Records’ mammoth 12 CD recording of the entire Robert Burns song catalogue. More recently his writing featured in the National Theatre of Scotland’s 2014 production of the musical ‘The Glasgow Girls’ while his singing and speaking talents were utilised in ‘The Life and Times of Scrooge’, the solo album of Finnish rock star Tuomas Holopainen of metal band ‘Nightwish’.
ROB van SANTE
Rob was born in Holland but has lived almost all his adult life in the north of England. His early life was steeped in music (his mother was a piano playing child prodigy) but guitar has always been his first love. He was influenced by rock and blues as a teenager, but it was in England that he was introduced to and found a love of folk music. Since then he has become a well known figure in the English folk scene, playing with a host of folk luminaries and recording many of them in his studio in his home town of Leeds.
In 2014 Rob recorded, produced and engineered the latest album of veteran songwriter John Connoly (writer of the ever popular ‘Fiddler’s Green’). Rob plays and sings on the album and gigs with John whenever the opportunity arises.
Alan and Rob formed their duo in 2000 and performed while still working with Battlefield Band until 2010 when they both left the band. Since then they have regularly toured the U.K. , North America. Europe. Australia and New Zealand. They have released four critically acclaimed albums, the latest of which is ‘Rough Diamonds’ (2014).
As well as a concert act which features many of Alan’s songs and a choice selection of modern and traditional folk songs sung by both, the duo have a special show built around their third CD ‘The Adventures of John Paul Jones (2012). This was performed as a musical drama at the Dumfries and Galloway Arts Festival in 2012 and at the Edinburgh Festival in 2013. There is also a multi media version of the John Paul Jones story consisting of song, storytelling and slides.
You can see and hear the duo at …………………..
For more information regarding engagements, please phone:
+44 (0)1360 622114 or +44 (0)7918 128 336.
This section: Gig Guide plus Club Events
Filed under: Gig Guide plus Club Events
- Luca Manning & Fergus McCreadie Celtic Connections
- Celtic Connections & Fallen Angels Club: Danni Nicholls
- Isobel Campbell Isobel Campbell with Hannah Fisher & Sorren Maclean and Nina Violet Celtic Connections
- Celtic Connections: SHHE SHHE + GRISLY FAYE Hug and Pint
- Rachael Dadd, The Glad Cafe Celtic Connections
- The Wandering Hearts and Zoe Graham, Celtic Connections
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- Celtic Connections 2020 – Fionnuala Boyle
- Americana City Halls, Celtic Connections 2020
- Breabach @15 Celtic Connections 2020
- Grit Orchestra Opening Concert Celtic Connections 2020
- Christmas Carousel The Platform
- Future Glue Christmas Party
- The Sensational Alex Harvey Experience Christmas & New Year Party
- Kirsteen Harvey Live, Cottiers
- Sounds in the Suburbs presents Leventime: A Celebration of Jackie Leven
- Glasgow Hospitals Christmas Concert 2019 Royal Concert Hall
- Irish fiddle player Michael Gorman Cd launch and Concert to celebrate his Glasgow connection
- Martin Stephenson & The Daintees OranMor
- Cottiers has Talent this Christmas