Waxing Lyrical: The Power of the Printed Cloth in Africa
Gallery of Modern Art (GoMA)
Royal Exchange Square, Glasgow G1 3AH
Saturday 2 November, 2019
The event consists of a pattern-making workshop at 2pm (PoC only) and screening of Wax Print: 1 Fabric, 4 Continents, 200 Years of History at 6pm, followed by a discussion.
The role of printed wax cloth in fashioning African history, culture and identity weaves together these two special events hosted at the Gallery of Modern Art (GoMA) in the heart of the Merchant City. In amongst the artwork of ‘Domestic Bliss’ – an exhibition with explores the global reach of our own domesticity – these sessions trace the personal and historical narratives of this iconic textile and celebrate its influence on contemporary African fashion.
A creative response to these events will be captured by an artist, securing a space for printed wax cloth and its story in the ‘Domestic Bliss’ archive.
This event is co-presented by the University of Glasgow’s School of Culture & Creative Arts as part of its 2019-20 ‘Material/Immaterial’ season, and the Gallery of Modern Art as part of its ‘Domestic Bliss’ programme. It is supported by the University of Glasgow’s Knowledge Exchange Fund, History of Art, and Decolonise Glasgow Lab. Sincere thanks to Casi Dylan, Sally Tuckett and Christine Whyte for their involvement in organising this event.
This section: Cinema, Classes and Workshops
- Arracht – Glasgow Film Theatre at Home
- The Long Walk – GFT A Home
- Africa in Motion 2020
- French Film Festival 2020 – Online
- Real Bread Bakers – Screening and Discussion
- Glasgow Film Festival 2021
- Glasgow Film Theatre – Films Online
- Welcome to Hgff20 with Co-Directors Eirene Houston and Hugo Rivalt
- GFT – Coronavirus – Cinema to close temporarily from 2 November
- Reimagining Our Economy – Screening Woodlands Community
- Africa in Motion Film Festival 2020
- Canada Now – New Canadian Cinema at GFT
- Saint Maud, GFT
- On The Rocks, GFT
- I Am Greta – GFT
- Movie Screening: ’13’ – Black History Month
- Breathe Better: Beginners Breathing Workshop
- Game On: Queer Disruptions in Sport screening plus Q&A
- World Food Day 2020 – Propogate Scotland
- International Day of the Girl Child