Waxing Lyrical: The Power of the Printed Cloth in Africa
Gallery of Modern Art (GoMA)
Royal Exchange Square, Glasgow G1 3AH
Saturday 2 November, 2019
The event consists of a pattern-making workshop at 2pm (PoC only) and screening of Wax Print: 1 Fabric, 4 Continents, 200 Years of History at 6pm, followed by a discussion.
The role of printed wax cloth in fashioning African history, culture and identity weaves together these two special events hosted at the Gallery of Modern Art (GoMA) in the heart of the Merchant City. In amongst the artwork of ‘Domestic Bliss’ – an exhibition with explores the global reach of our own domesticity – these sessions trace the personal and historical narratives of this iconic textile and celebrate its influence on contemporary African fashion.
A creative response to these events will be captured by an artist, securing a space for printed wax cloth and its story in the ‘Domestic Bliss’ archive.
This event is co-presented by the University of Glasgow’s School of Culture & Creative Arts as part of its 2019-20 ‘Material/Immaterial’ season, and the Gallery of Modern Art as part of its ‘Domestic Bliss’ programme. It is supported by the University of Glasgow’s Knowledge Exchange Fund, History of Art, and Decolonise Glasgow Lab. Sincere thanks to Casi Dylan, Sally Tuckett and Christine Whyte for their involvement in organising this event.
This section: Cinema, Classes and Workshops
- Lockdown Video – Mic Clark
- Calypso Windrush Caribbean Film Festival
- La Belle et la Bête – Open Air Screening
- Vegan Cookery Workshop
- Art in Nature: Make a Mandala
- Sleep Workshops Woodlands Community
- Alice – Watch Online GFT
- The Traitor Glasgow Film Theatre Online
- Her Century – National Library of Scotland
- Sound & Vision Drive-In Summer 2020
- Summer Art Sessions Woodlands Community
- Outdoor Activities Woodlands Community
- Climate Change The Facts David Attenborough Savvy Film
- Drive In Movies Paisley
- Edinburgh Film Festival At Home
- Joan of Arc Glasgow Film Theatre – Virtual Cinema
- French Film Festival UK November – December 2020
- Creative Pollination: Exploration and Creative Writing Woodlands Community
- Glasgow Film Festival 2020 – Jazz on a Summer’s Day review by Pat Byrne
- The Poets’ Time – weekly meetings with Linda Jackson on Zoom