Waxing Lyrical: The Power of the Printed Cloth in Africa
Gallery of Modern Art (GoMA)
Royal Exchange Square, Glasgow G1 3AH
Saturday 2 November, 2019
The event consists of a pattern-making workshop at 2pm (PoC only) and screening of Wax Print: 1 Fabric, 4 Continents, 200 Years of History at 6pm, followed by a discussion.
The role of printed wax cloth in fashioning African history, culture and identity weaves together these two special events hosted at the Gallery of Modern Art (GoMA) in the heart of the Merchant City. In amongst the artwork of ‘Domestic Bliss’ – an exhibition with explores the global reach of our own domesticity – these sessions trace the personal and historical narratives of this iconic textile and celebrate its influence on contemporary African fashion.
A creative response to these events will be captured by an artist, securing a space for printed wax cloth and its story in the ‘Domestic Bliss’ archive.
This event is co-presented by the University of Glasgow’s School of Culture & Creative Arts as part of its 2019-20 ‘Material/Immaterial’ season, and the Gallery of Modern Art as part of its ‘Domestic Bliss’ programme. It is supported by the University of Glasgow’s Knowledge Exchange Fund, History of Art, and Decolonise Glasgow Lab. Sincere thanks to Casi Dylan, Sally Tuckett and Christine Whyte for their involvement in organising this event.
This section: Cinema, Classes and Workshops
- Beginners Bird I.D.
- Wellbeing for Artists Working in Older People’s Care
- Brian Whittingham – Writing Walks in Kelvingrove
- Rams at home with Glasgow Film Theatre
- Glasgow Film Theatre – reopening May 2021
- Africa in Motion – Notions of Citizenship
- Femspectives Film Festival 2021 announces full programme
- Beyond the Visible: Hilma af Klint – GFT AT Home
- Celebrate Your Story – Workshop with Samina Chaudry
- Beats – GFT At Home
- Song Without A Name online at GFT
- Days of the Bagnold Summer
- Minari at GFF21 – review by Pat Byrne
- Femspectives Film Festival 2021 – Guest Curators
- Ours – Film Premiere – Community Action Govanhill
- Writing for Wellbeing Workshops
- Poetry and Creative Writing Classes (Spring 2021) with Linda Jackson
- Red Skirts on Clydeside #IWD2021
- Yer Old Faither, Glasgow Film Festival Online
- Spring Blossom Glasgow Film Festival 2021