Waxing Lyrical: The Power of the Printed Cloth in Africa
Gallery of Modern Art (GoMA)
Royal Exchange Square, Glasgow G1 3AH
Saturday 2 November, 2019
The event consists of a pattern-making workshop at 2pm (PoC only) and screening of Wax Print: 1 Fabric, 4 Continents, 200 Years of History at 6pm, followed by a discussion.
The role of printed wax cloth in fashioning African history, culture and identity weaves together these two special events hosted at the Gallery of Modern Art (GoMA) in the heart of the Merchant City. In amongst the artwork of ‘Domestic Bliss’ – an exhibition with explores the global reach of our own domesticity – these sessions trace the personal and historical narratives of this iconic textile and celebrate its influence on contemporary African fashion.
A creative response to these events will be captured by an artist, securing a space for printed wax cloth and its story in the ‘Domestic Bliss’ archive.
This event is co-presented by the University of Glasgow’s School of Culture & Creative Arts as part of its 2019-20 ‘Material/Immaterial’ season, and the Gallery of Modern Art as part of its ‘Domestic Bliss’ programme. It is supported by the University of Glasgow’s Knowledge Exchange Fund, History of Art, and Decolonise Glasgow Lab. Sincere thanks to Casi Dylan, Sally Tuckett and Christine Whyte for their involvement in organising this event.
This section: Cinema, Classes and Workshops
- Wakeful Screening at CCA
- Opening and Closing Galas announced for Glasgow Film Festival 2020
- Celine and Julie Go Boating, GFT
- First events announced for Glasgow Film Festival 2020
- Different from Others with Illustrated Talk, GFT
- Finish Exposure Films from the Arctic
- Waves GFT
- Bombshell GFT
- Chinese Visual Festival 2020
- Preview: Parasite + Satellite Q&A with Bong Joon-ho-GFT
- Cine(thesia) Coming Out, Kelvin Hall
- No Fathers in Kashmir, GFT
- The Personal History of David Copperfield, GFT
- Winter Tree Identification Workshop
- Red Thread Film Club Lynne Ramsay – Gasman and Ratcatcher
- A Hidden Life, GFT
- Weathering With You GFT
- Cleanin’ Up The Town Remembering Ghostbusters GFT
- Preview: The Man Who Killed Don Quixote + Recorded Q&A GFT
- Everything – The Real Thing Story Q & A