Waxing Lyrical: The Power of the Printed Cloth in Africa
Gallery of Modern Art (GoMA)
Royal Exchange Square, Glasgow G1 3AH
Saturday 2 November, 2019
The event consists of a pattern-making workshop at 2pm (PoC only) and screening of Wax Print: 1 Fabric, 4 Continents, 200 Years of History at 6pm, followed by a discussion.
The role of printed wax cloth in fashioning African history, culture and identity weaves together these two special events hosted at the Gallery of Modern Art (GoMA) in the heart of the Merchant City. In amongst the artwork of ‘Domestic Bliss’ – an exhibition with explores the global reach of our own domesticity – these sessions trace the personal and historical narratives of this iconic textile and celebrate its influence on contemporary African fashion.
A creative response to these events will be captured by an artist, securing a space for printed wax cloth and its story in the ‘Domestic Bliss’ archive.
This event is co-presented by the University of Glasgow’s School of Culture & Creative Arts as part of its 2019-20 ‘Material/Immaterial’ season, and the Gallery of Modern Art as part of its ‘Domestic Bliss’ programme. It is supported by the University of Glasgow’s Knowledge Exchange Fund, History of Art, and Decolonise Glasgow Lab. Sincere thanks to Casi Dylan, Sally Tuckett and Christine Whyte for their involvement in organising this event.
This section: Cinema, Classes and Workshops
- Artists Moving Image Festival The Tramway
- First a Girl, GFT
- Miles Davis: Birth of the Cool GFT
- 2040 at GFT
- Pity Party Film Club I Shot Andy Warhol CCA
- Queer Classics & Matchbox Cineclub City of Lost Souls CCA
- Alan Ereira ALUNA – screening and talk CCA
- Cooking Pot Biting the Hand that Feeds, CCA
- UK Jewish Film Festival 2019 at GFT Glasgow
- Leona GFT
- Depeche Mode Spirits in the Forest
- Michael Hutchence: Mystify GFT
- Havana Film Festival 2019
- It’s A Wonderful Life Seamore Neighbourhood Cinema Glasgow
- First events announced for Glasgow Film Festival 2020
- After the Wedding, GFT
- Luce, GFT
- Matchbox Cineclub Best of Final Girls Berlin 2019 CCA
- Then And Now & What Could Be: Housing Rights & Solidarity CCA
- Libre / To the Four Winds Alliance Francaise Glasgow