SQIFF 2019 Black History Month: Calalai: In Betweenness + shorts
Tuesday 22 October 2019
Calalai: In Betweenness by filmmaker Kiki Febriyanti depicts women in South Sulawesi Bugis culture, which for centuries has accepted gender diversity as implicit, believing humans consist of 5 genders, one of them being calalai. The film takes a closer look at the definition of femininity and masculinity in the Bugis culture. What or who is calalai? What are the dynamics of gender, spirituality, and performance? How do these dynamics define the everyday life of the Bugis people?
Screening with accompanying short films and discussion on queerness in Indonesian cultures outside of white, colonialist impositions.
Curated and hosted by artist and researcher Claricia Parinussa.
Accessibility information for this event
Captioning, Interpretation & Large Print
Film languages tbc with English language subtitles/captions. If you would like to attend this event and require BSL interpretation for the discussion, please email email@example.com at least 2 weeks in advance. Accessibility of films to English-speaking blind and partially sighted audiences tbc. Large print versions of handouts available.
CCA has good access for wheelchair users, gender neutral toilets, and welcomes assistance animals. See the CCA Accessibility Guide for more information. Programme content notes will be available. Comfy seating (bean bags) are available. If you would like to reserve this, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
This section: Cinema
Filed under: Cinema
- National Library of Scotland Kelvin Hall – World Thinking Day
- A Beautiful Day in The Neighbourhood, GFT
- Glasgow Film Festival 2020: Jazz On A Summer’s Day
- Glasgow Film Festival 2020, Disco
- Glasgow Film Festival 2020: Simple Women presented by Femspectives
- Glasgow Film Festival 2020: Rocks
- Parasite GFT
- Pity Party Film Club Tangerine CCA
- Valentine’s Day at GFT 2020
- A Streetcar Named Desire, GFT
- True Romance, Late Night Movie at GFT
- Take 2: StarDog TurboCat GFT
- Alasdair Gray: A Life in Progress GFT
- Preview: Portrait of a Lady on Fire
- Pity Party Film Club Clockwatchers CCA
- Glasgow Film Festival 2020 Secret Location: Final Destination
- Pity Party Film Club Thelma & Louise CCA
- Eminent Torture: A Manual for Modern Horror plus Recorded Introduction
- Show Me The Picture: Story of Jim Marshall
- Glasgow Film Festival 2020 – Short Film Festival Programme