Sorry We Missed You + Q & A Paul Lavery
28 September, 2019
Three years after I, Daniel Blake (TOAFF16), Ken Loach and his long-term collaborators (screenwriter Paul Laverty and producer Rebecca O’Brien) return with another devastatingly powerful portrait of contemporary Britain.
The 2008 financial crash cost Ricky, a father of two, both his work in construction and his mortgage – but a better future may be around the corner.
When a promising opportunity as a freelance delivery driver presents itself, Ricky persuades his wife Abby, who works as a carer for the elderly, to sell the car she uses to rush from ‘client’ to ‘client’ to finance the van’s purchase.
Having never been on the dole, Ricky is confident his work ethics will see him through. As a self-employed ‘owner-driver franchisee’ however, every minor setback or delay triggers a fine, with no recourse and no second chances. Abby faces equally exploitative pressures in her zero-hour-contract job and, under the weight of relentless schedules and rising debts, their family life is soon pushed to breaking point.
Sorry We Missed You is both an intimate family drama and an angry, meticulously researched indictment of a callous, inhumane economic system.
Followed by a Q&A with writer Paul Laverty.
This screening is captioned.
Take One Action is an ad-free festival: please take your seats in the cinema at the advertised start time.
GFT 12 Rose Street, G3 6RB
This section: Cinema, Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers
- Sonica Festival 2022
- Trans – I Got Life at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Cicada, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Temple Grandin plus Recorded Q & A, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Mass, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Nightmare Alley, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Memory Box, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Belfast, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Unchained Comedy Club at McChuills
- Refugee Week Conference 2022
- Second International Alasdair Gray Conference
- People’s Palace 124th Birthday Celebration
- Glasgow National Park City AGM
- Glasgow Film Festival 2022 – More Events Announced
- Hope GFT
- No Radio Silence – launch of film by Unity Sisters
- Roma Night at The Rum Shack
- Hugh Reed and the Velvet Underpants, Carlton Studios
- The Bishop’s Wife, GFT
- Lamb GFT