Sorry We Missed You + Q & A Paul Lavery
28 September, 2019
Three years after I, Daniel Blake (TOAFF16), Ken Loach and his long-term collaborators (screenwriter Paul Laverty and producer Rebecca O’Brien) return with another devastatingly powerful portrait of contemporary Britain.
The 2008 financial crash cost Ricky, a father of two, both his work in construction and his mortgage – but a better future may be around the corner.
When a promising opportunity as a freelance delivery driver presents itself, Ricky persuades his wife Abby, who works as a carer for the elderly, to sell the car she uses to rush from ‘client’ to ‘client’ to finance the van’s purchase.
Having never been on the dole, Ricky is confident his work ethics will see him through. As a self-employed ‘owner-driver franchisee’ however, every minor setback or delay triggers a fine, with no recourse and no second chances. Abby faces equally exploitative pressures in her zero-hour-contract job and, under the weight of relentless schedules and rising debts, their family life is soon pushed to breaking point.
Sorry We Missed You is both an intimate family drama and an angry, meticulously researched indictment of a callous, inhumane economic system.
Followed by a Q&A with writer Paul Laverty.
This screening is captioned.
Take One Action is an ad-free festival: please take your seats in the cinema at the advertised start time.
GFT 12 Rose Street, G3 6RB
This section: Cinema, Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers
- A Night of Grief and Misery, Cottiers
- Loch Lomond Highland Games 2022
- Alice In The Cities – GFT
- I’ve Heard the Mermaids Singing – GFT
- Nitram at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Tigers at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Take 2. Paddington at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Ithaka plus Q & A with John Shipton, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Purple Rain, late night at Glasgow Film Theatre
- The Princess, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Sma’ Shot Day 2022
- Alasdair Gray’s Lanark: A World Made on Paper – The Hunterian
- Journey from Jamaica iBrina – Merchant City Festival
- No Evictions Glasgow Open Meeting
- Luzzu at GFT
- Reel Roots: Windrush at GFT
- Take 2: 101 Dalmatians
- Dr Who and The Daleks & Daleks’ Invasion Earth 2150 A.D. GFT
- Fayi Dayi at GFT
- Moon, 66 Questions at GFT