Singing Lovebirds, GFT
26 November, 2019 – 6.30 p.m.
Directed by Masahiro Makino, the ‘Busby Berkeley of Japan’, Singing Lovebirds is the most frequently revived pre-war musical in Japan. Daughter of a former rōnin (masterless samurai), Oharu (Haruyo Ichikawa) is in love with Reisaburō Asai (Chiezō Kataoka), another rōnin who lives next door. But she faces steep romantic competition from other local admirers and matters are complicated further when her father, finding himself deeply in debt to the local lord (Dick Mine), fears he might have to sell her to pay it off… Breezy, lighthearted and full of verve, charm and invention, Singing Lovebirds is a joyous and effortlessly delightful cinematic treat.
Screening as part of BFI Musicals! The Greatest Show on Screen, a UK-wide film season supported by National Lottery, BFI Film Audience Network and ICO.
Screenings of this film are organised in partnership with the Japan Foundation, celebrating the Japan-UK Season of Culture 2019-20.
GFT 12 Rose Street, G3 6RB
This section: Cinema
Filed under: Cinema
- Wakeful Screening at CCA
- Opening and Closing Galas announced for Glasgow Film Festival 2020
- Celine and Julie Go Boating, GFT
- First events announced for Glasgow Film Festival 2020
- Different from Others with Illustrated Talk, GFT
- Finish Exposure Films from the Arctic
- Waves GFT
- Bombshell GFT
- Chinese Visual Festival 2020
- Preview: Parasite + Satellite Q&A with Bong Joon-ho-GFT
- Cine(thesia) Coming Out, Kelvin Hall
- No Fathers in Kashmir, GFT
- The Personal History of David Copperfield, GFT
- Red Thread Film Club Lynne Ramsay – Gasman and Ratcatcher
- A Hidden Life, GFT
- Weathering With You GFT
- Cleanin’ Up The Town Remembering Ghostbusters GFT
- Preview: The Man Who Killed Don Quixote + Recorded Q&A GFT
- Everything – The Real Thing Story Q & A
- Film: Invading the Skin of the Earth: Soil