Singing Lovebirds, GFT
26 November, 2019 – 6.30 p.m.
Directed by Masahiro Makino, the ‘Busby Berkeley of Japan’, Singing Lovebirds is the most frequently revived pre-war musical in Japan. Daughter of a former rōnin (masterless samurai), Oharu (Haruyo Ichikawa) is in love with Reisaburō Asai (Chiezō Kataoka), another rōnin who lives next door. But she faces steep romantic competition from other local admirers and matters are complicated further when her father, finding himself deeply in debt to the local lord (Dick Mine), fears he might have to sell her to pay it off… Breezy, lighthearted and full of verve, charm and invention, Singing Lovebirds is a joyous and effortlessly delightful cinematic treat.
Screening as part of BFI Musicals! The Greatest Show on Screen, a UK-wide film season supported by National Lottery, BFI Film Audience Network and ICO.
Screenings of this film are organised in partnership with the Japan Foundation, celebrating the Japan-UK Season of Culture 2019-20.
GFT 12 Rose Street, G3 6RB
This section: Cinema
Filed under: Cinema
- World of International Film Festival 2020
- Rocks at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Havana Glasgow Film Festival 2020
- GYFF Miss Junetenth GFT
- GYFF: Back to the Future
- Nocturnal GFT
- Raman Mondair – Choreographies of Dance
- The Glasgow Diet – Discussion Event
- You’re Only Young Twice – Digital Doors Open Day 2020
- BFI London Film Festival 2020 at GFT
- September Programme at G.FT.
- The Lady in the Portrait GFT
- Make Up, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Glasgow Film Theatre – Re-opening Programme
- “Trainspotting The Italian Chapter” madness or success beyond the borders
- White Riot, Govanhill International Festival
- Govanhill International Festival 2020
- Take One Action 2020
- Edinburgh Festivals Past 1954 – 1969
- Glasgow Short Film Festival Online