Occupy! Occupy! Occupy! – graphic novel launch
Friday 12 August, 2022, 4 p.m. – 5 p.m.
2021 marked 20 years since the incredible occupation of Govanhill Baths by the Southside Against Closures – Save Our Pool campaign. The occupation ran from the 21st March – 7th August 2001, the longest occupation of a public building in British history. To celebrate they held a number of events throughout the year which culminated in a two-day conference in December. The graphic novel, Occupy! Occupy! Occupy!, presents material from the conference which used the occupation of Govanhill Baths as a starting point to explore occupations as a tactic in industrial, community, student and environmental disputes in Scotland.
17 different occupations from the 1940s to 2020s:
Squatting & The Housing Movement (1946), Joey Simon.
Upper Clyde Shipbuilders (1971), Bill Knox & Alan McKinlay.
Lee Jeans (1981), Lovable Bra (1982), Plessey Capacitors (1982), Dr Andy Clark.
Faslane (1982-ongoing), Jane Tallents, John & Jamie.
Timex (1983), Dr Valerie Wright, Gordon Sampson & John McCallion.
Price Waterhouse (1984); Stirling Park Sheriff Offices (1990) and Netherton Primary (1996), John Cooper Snr & Jnr.
Caterpillar (1987), John Gillen & John Brannan.
Pollok Free State (1994-1996), Danny Alderslowe.
Kinning Park Complex (1996) by Helen Kyle, Claire McIntyre & Nicky Paterson.
Govanhill Baths (2001) by Danny Alderslowe & Jean Adair.
Free Hetherington (2011) by Henry Bell & Alvaro Huertas.
Still Game For The Valley (2021-ongoing), Norman Cunningham.
Baile Hoose (2021), Baile Hoose Collective.<.p>
Video contributions via Donna Rutherford’s multimedia performance Transformation:
Upper Clyde Shipbuilders, James Cloughley
Faslane, Jim Chestnut
Faslane & Free Hetherington, John McDonald.
Govanhill Baths, Rae McKinlay
Individuals from the occupations will be present as well as Magic Torch Comics.
- Govanhill Children’s Book Festival
- Piping Live! Family Fun Day
- Scotland on Tour – The Rum Shack, Glasgow
- Break the Cycle of Homelessness with Social Bite
- Occupy! Occupy! Occupy! – graphic novel launch
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- Govanhill’s Got Talent
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Review – The Way Home by Robin Scott-Elliot
- Beyond the Rainbow (100th Birthday Celebration for Judy Garland)
- CINE(STHESIA )- Last Day of the Trams
- Raw Poetry at Scottish Writers Centre
- Govanhill International Carnival and Parade
- Sea Change Film Festival 2022
- Friends of Peoples Palace & Winter Garden at Glasgow Green Fun Day
- The Rhynie Station: Grunnit Spring by Ian R. Mitchell
- Dance Along Festival: Encanto, Merchant City Festival
- Ashton Lane Stre-EAT FEST
- Curatorial Tour: Glasgow and Slavery, People’s Palace
- A Day Of Fun Inspired by John Byrne
- Bloody Scotland 2022 McIlvanney Prize Long List