Josep at GFT
6 August, 2021at 6.30 p.m.
Screening as part of the Mediterranean Summer Special season.
Winner of the César Award for Best Animated Film and Best European Animated Feature, Josep is a film portrait of Josep Bartolí, the Catalan artist who fought in the Spanish Civil War and fled to Mexico after escaping from a concentration camp. Josep was a soldier against Franco, a lover of Frida Kahlo and victim of the Hollywood blacklist.
February 1939. Spanish republicans are fleeing Franco’s dictatorship to France. The French government has built a concentration camp, confining the refugees, where they barely have access to hygiene, water and food. In this unlikely context two men will become friends. One is a guard, the other is Josep Bartolí, a Catalan illustrator who fights against Franco’s regime.
GFT, 12 Rose Street, G3 6RB
This section: Cinema
Filed under: Cinema
- Wake Up Punk at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Cabaret – 50th Anniversary at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Wild Men at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Particle Wave – Glasgow Science Festival 2022
- SCCAN Communicating Climate Change: Working with Arts & Culture 3-5.30pm 12th May
- Javed Iqbal + Q and A at GFT
- Encounters Presents: Ukrainian Shorts
- Sound of Metal at GFT
- The Velvet Queen at GFT
- The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent at GFT
- Chopper – 20 Anniversary at GFT
- The Good, The Bad and The Ugly at GFT
- Your Mum and Dad at GFT
- Community Consultation: My Historic Neighbourhood – the Barras
- Murina at GFT
- Small Body at GFT
- NT Live: Henry V at GFT
- CODA at Glasgow Film Theatre
- The Outfit, GFT
- Wings at GFT with introduction – Ukraine Fundraiser