Creative Thursdays – Jewish Textile Art
Thursday 24 September, 2020 – 10 a.m.
Jewish Textile Art: with Prof Malcolm Lochhead, Debby Taylor with Marsha Gladstone.
Free Event –
The Giffnock Synagogue Yoni Jesner Memorial Parochet (Curtain) with Malcolm Lochhead, textile artist and designer. Emeritus Professor of Visual Design, Glasgow Caledonian University – in conversation with Marsha Gladstone: a glimpse at a creative career and a creative process.
Yoni Jesner was killed in a suicide bombing in Jerusalem in 2002 and Marsha Gladstone, his mother, wanted a way to remember him in the synagogue that had a special place in his heart.
Also: Lockdown Quilting, and the Aberdeen Mantles – with Debby Taylor (Aberdeen Hebrew Congregation)
After the presentations from 10 a.m. to 12 noon there’ll be a chance to stay online till 1 p.m. to meet Malcolm Lochead, hear about the rest of his career, chat to Marsha and Debby, and exchange your own embroidery and quilting stories.
You’re welcome to sew to your hearts’ content alongside our sessions
Donations will be invited in aid of the Yoni Jesner
The Lockdown Quilt will be raffled in
November 2020, in aid of the Aberdeen Synagogue roof
(image: Synagogue Curtain Giffnock and Newlands Synagogue by Malcolm Lochhead)
- Creative Conversations: Ngũgĩ wa Thiong’o
- ‘Words From Battlefield’ – Book Launch
- Reimagining Our Economy – Screening Woodlands Community
- Seven New Strawberries – Book Launch
- Poet’s Time with Jenne Gray
- The Zoom Session with Dave Arcari
- Ghost Stories from Around the World
- Africa in Motion Film Festival 2020
- Canada Now – New Canadian Cinema at GFT
- Saint Maud, GFT
- On The Rocks, GFT
- I Am Greta – GFT
- Seahorse Saturday
- Movie Screening: ’13’ – Black History Month
- Science on the Sofa – Activities for Kids
- Breathe Better: Beginners Breathing Workshop
- From Glasgow To Saturn Fall Launch
- Remembering Alasdair Gray / Paradise
- Scotland’s Charity Air Ambulance – Online Presentations
- Deep Dive Workshops Stay at Home Literary Festival