Aye Write 2022 – Bobby Gillespie
7 May, 2022, 9.30 p.m.
Tenement Kid Book Event
Hear Primal Scream frontman Bobby Gillespie reading from his memoir taking him from Glasgow tenement to the release of the iconic Screamadelica.
Bobby will be signing copies of his book Tenement Kid after the event.
Born into a working-class Glaswegian family in the summer of 1961, Bobby Gillespie’s memoir Tenement Kid begins in Springburn, soon to be evacuated in Edward Heath’s brutal slum clearances. Leaving school at 16 and going to work as a printers’ apprentice, Bobby’s rock n roll epiphany arrives like a bolt of lightning shining from Phil Lynott’s mirrored pickguard at his first gig at the Apollo in Glasgow. Filled with ‘the holy spirit of rock n roll’ his destiny is sealed with the arrival of the Sex Pistols and punk rock which to Bobby, represents an iconoclastic vision of class rebellion and would ultimately lead him to join The Jesus and Mary Chain then Primal Scream.
Building like a breakbeat crescendo to the Summer of Love, Boys Own parties, and the fateful meeting with Andrew Weatherall in an East Sussex field, as the ’80s bleed into the ’90s and a new kind of electronic soul music starts to pulse through the nation’s consciousness, his book closes with the release of Screamadelica, the album often credited with ‘starting the ’90s’. A book filled with the joy and wonder of a rock n roll apostle who would radically reshape the future sounds of fin de siècle British pop, Bobby Gillespie’s memoir cuts a righteous path through a decade lost to Thatcherism and saved by acid house.
(Photo credit and copyright: Sam Christmas)
- Under One Roof – Taking Care of Your Tenement
- THE G at Glasgow Film Festival 2024
- Glasgow Literary and Music Lounge at The Scotia Bar
- The Burning Season (2023) review Pat Byrne
- Govan Music Festival – Glasgow Barons
- Textile Repair, Sashiko with Keng Keng Watt
- Full Programme Announced for Glasgow Film Festival 2024
- Take 2: Turning Red
- The Settlers
- Hamlet + Ian McKellen Recorded Q&A
- El Castillo + Q&A
- Second Hand and Vintage Sale Britannia Panopticon
- Cesária Évora + Q&A
- Perfect Days
- CineMasters: Terrence Malick
- Black Dog
- Billy Connolly Big Banana Feet
- Blue Sunshine
- The Anatomy of a Fall