A Spotlight on Jack Knox – Compass Gallery
The career of the artist Jack Knox spans over 5 decades. He studied at Glasgow School of Art and the Andre L’Hote Atelier, Paris, winning a string of prizes including the Carnegie Trust Travelling Scholarship, the Guthrie Award, several RSA awards, and the Scottish Arts Council Award. Knox, a ‘Glasgow Boy’ of the 1950’s era, became a Senior Lecturer in Drawing and Painting at Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art, Dundee where he taught for 16 years. He became Head of Painting at Glasgow School of Art in 1981 till 1992. Knox was an excellent example of an accomplished and committed artist who managed to bridge the proverbial ‘generation gap’ at each successful stage of his career. He was able to do this through his continuing interest and enthusiastic involvement of the interests and affairs of his colleagues, teaching staff and contemporaries, both at home and in the wider field of the changing Art Movement in Europe and America.
Jack Knox – Influence
He has inspired and influenced generations of new artists graduating under his watch, many of whom now have successful careers with international status. Amongst them, to name a few, are Jenny Saville, Alison Watt, Steven Campbell, Adrian Wiszniewski, Ken Currie and Stephen Conroy.
Knox has had numerous solo exhibitions throughout the UK and further afield. His group exhibitions include Chicago, Warsaw, Brussels, New York, Dusseldorf, Vienna, Sao Paulo and Sarajevo. A regular exhibitor in The New Charing Cross Gallery, Compass Gallery and Gerber Fine Art, Glasgow, since their inception. Jack had several solo exhibitions, and Compass Gallery continue to represent his estate.
Works in public collections include Aberdeen; Dundee; Edinburgh; Kirkcaldy; Glasgow; Manchester; Sao Paulo, Brazil; L.A. and many others. His exhibition from the 1950’s to present day celebrated the gallery’s long association with Jack Knox.
Visiting the Exhibition
The Gallery is open to the public Tuesday – Friday, 10.30am-4pm.
Please Email Compass Gallery or call 0141-221 6370 to arrange a time to visit.
Should you wish to see any artworks in more detail from your own home, Compass Gallery offer video consultations. They operate secure remote transactions and can arrange delivery to any location (free delivery in Greater Glasgow area).
For more information about any of the pieces in the show or in their wider collection, contact us on 0141 221 6370 or Email Compass Gallery
Compass Gallery, 178 West Regent Street, Glasgow G2 4R
Tel : 0141-221 6370
Email Compass Gallery
- Idrish – Glasgow Short Film Festival
- Return, Remake, React
- Lapidus Creative Writing with Lesley O’Brien
- Aye Write: Jenni Fagan with Claire Mitchell QC and Zoe Venditozzi Witches of Scotland Podcast
- Book Launch: The Pharmacist by Rachelle Atalla
- Hairspray, Beatson Gin and Sing
- Glasgow South Side Wellbeing Fair
- Vinicombe Street Party 2022
- Modren Makars Launch Event
- Active Travel for Whiteinch & Scotstoun
- Mansfield Park Street Festival
- Glasgow Mela 2022
- Aye Write: Karen Campbell and Nataliya Deleva
- Glasgow West End – Summer Events 2022
- Alma Wolfson – ‘A Painter’s Passion’
- Outi and Nico at Tchai Ovna
- Performers at Glasgow Jazz Festival 2022
- Book Launch: This Script by Jenny Lindsay
- Glasgow Science Festival 2022
- Grease The Musical at Websters Theatre Glasgow West End