A Spotlight on Jack Knox – Compass Gallery
The career of the artist Jack Knox spans over 5 decades. He studied at Glasgow School of Art and the Andre L’Hote Atelier, Paris, winning a string of prizes including the Carnegie Trust Travelling Scholarship, the Guthrie Award, several RSA awards, and the Scottish Arts Council Award. Knox, a ‘Glasgow Boy’ of the 1950’s era, became a Senior Lecturer in Drawing and Painting at Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art, Dundee where he taught for 16 years. He became Head of Painting at Glasgow School of Art in 1981 till 1992. Knox was an excellent example of an accomplished and committed artist who managed to bridge the proverbial ‘generation gap’ at each successful stage of his career. He was able to do this through his continuing interest and enthusiastic involvement of the interests and affairs of his colleagues, teaching staff and contemporaries, both at home and in the wider field of the changing Art Movement in Europe and America.
Jack Knox – Influence
He has inspired and influenced generations of new artists graduating under his watch, many of whom now have successful careers with international status. Amongst them, to name a few, are Jenny Saville, Alison Watt, Steven Campbell, Adrian Wiszniewski, Ken Currie and Stephen Conroy.
Knox has had numerous solo exhibitions throughout the UK and further afield. His group exhibitions include Chicago, Warsaw, Brussels, New York, Dusseldorf, Vienna, Sao Paulo and Sarajevo. A regular exhibitor in The New Charing Cross Gallery, Compass Gallery and Gerber Fine Art, Glasgow, since their inception. Jack had several solo exhibitions, and Compass Gallery continue to represent his estate.
Works in public collections include Aberdeen; Dundee; Edinburgh; Kirkcaldy; Glasgow; Manchester; Sao Paulo, Brazil; L.A. and many others. His exhibition from the 1950’s to present day celebrated the gallery’s long association with Jack Knox.
Visiting the Exhibition
The Gallery is open to the public Tuesday – Friday, 10.30am-4pm.
Please Email Compass Gallery or call 0141-221 6370 to arrange a time to visit.
Should you wish to see any artworks in more detail from your own home, Compass Gallery offer video consultations. They operate secure remote transactions and can arrange delivery to any location (free delivery in Greater Glasgow area).
For more information about any of the pieces in the show or in their wider collection, contact us on 0141 221 6370 or Email Compass Gallery
Compass Gallery, 178 West Regent Street, Glasgow G2 4R
Tel : 0141-221 6370
Email Compass Gallery
- Women’s Library – In Conversation with Paria Goodarzi
- Bloody Scotland 2021 McIlvanney Prize Long List Announced
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- The Owner of the Sea – Richard Price readings and discussion
- Moving Image Archive, National Library of Scotland, Kelvin Hall
- Bernard MacLaverty: Glasgow Writer
- Graeme Macrae Burnet – Glasgow Writer
- Glasgow Writers: Theresa Talbot
- Mandabi, GFT
- Ammonite, GFT
- Earwig and the Witch at GFT
- First Cow, GFT
- The Father at GFT
- Football Themed Movie Night at Glasgow Green EURO 2020 Fanzone
- Glasgow School of Art Digital Showcase 2021
- A Spotlight on Jack Knox – Compass Gallery
- The Hunterian: Jimmy Robert: Tobacco Flower
- Hillhead Summer Arts Academy 2021
- Mansfield Park Street Festival 2021
- Vinicombe Street Gala 2021