Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Pat

In-Out Referendum

....  There are many people, across the length and breadth of the country who have suffered under the Tories and their voice and "national interests" are just as valid as yours, samamerican.    

Very distinct problems in London, as I mentioned in my post.  Interesting and shocking statistics, harper.   About the only thing they appear to be doing right in London is raising standards in schools.

We are lucky in Scotland in so many ways as the Scottish Government has taken steps, for example, to protect people from the Bedroom Tax.  I don't think that temporary accommodation is all that common here either.

Now that the Tories are extending Bedroom Tax to the elderly that is going to create a greater problem. Seems to me a policy designed to cut the numbers of older people in the population as many just won't survive when usurped from their communities and support systems.

I've never heard of landlord repossession here either. They probably do just as well letting their property as house prices in London are extortionate so big carrot there.

Poverty is widespread throughout many parts of the UK, including Scotland. Although our minimum wage is set higher. The difference between the rich and the poor in London and the South East is particularly stark.  Different worlds for the haves and have nots.

Per se there is nothing wrong with living in rented accommodation. One of the worse thing that ever happened in Scotland was the right to buy as prior to that most working class people lived in decent social housing.

Maggie Thatcher introducing the Poll Tax in Scotland ahead of other places in the UK raised levels of resentment in Scotland. Resentment has grown since then basically because democracy doesn't work as Scotland has never voted Tory.  Most people direct these feeling towards Westminster, the policymakers, the Daily Mail and The Sun.

I think it can look as if there is an unfair advantage to the South East but I think that is the same in most countries with the capital city. I do not think that anyone believes that this means all the people living in the area are better off. This Government have mainly been interested in making the rich richer and there are more rich people in the South East than any other part of Britain. I remember when it was the coalition Government that Vince Cable spoke about London being a giant suction machine draining the life out of the rest of the country.  I read about this at the time and saw other articles saying that relative poverty in London was the highest in the country so it looks as though the main wealth is in the area but this is matched by a lot of problems for the less well off.  I agree with Pat that the bedroom tax for the elderly will lead to a lot more problems.

I am sure the poverty profiles for most towns and cities would show increases in hardship under this Tory government, London is not unique.

The Poll Tax, EVEL, the West Lothian question, broken promises on devolved powers, inequalities in the allocation of public spending, towns and cities, struggling with rising populations, housing and job shortages, government cuts, punitive government policy -  people have a lot to be angry about.  

London is wealthy, tigs and the UK would struggle without the tax revenue it generates and yet the poorest in London are recorded as receiving less public spending per head than some other parts of the UK. 

http://www.citymetric.com/politics/london-still-generates-more-twice-tax-revenue-entire-northern-powerhouse-region-1235

The people in England should be able to speak out about their "national interests" as much as anyone else without being dismissed as little Englanders or racists.

Agree with everything in your post, harper. Although I think that what may be perceived as 'national interests' will vary with regard to different areas – not least of all transport.

There's a bit of aggro going on today about the proposed new air terminal at Heathrow. Supported by SNP much to the fury of Patrick Harvey of the Greens. SNP reckon that more travel to the UK will benefit Scotland, Harvey is obviously concerned with green issues and the effects on the atmosphere.  I've also heard that there are folks in London none too happy about increased traffic overhead.

London is indeed wealthy but other areas are not.  They would love some of the investment.

Historically there is animosity in Scotland because it wasn't Scotland who benefited from the oil revenue.  And I don't think it's right that Scottish products such as whisky has tax shown as income of the Treasury.  People should be able to speak out about such matters and about Independence without being labelled racist.

I don't agree with the man on Question Time who reckoned that if a party has the word Nationalist in its name that it is therefore racist.  However, there are always going to be such simplistic statements made by people in various parts of the UK.  Not everyone in Plaid Cymru, the Tories, Sienn Finn, SNP are racists but some of them will be and there's a fair chance that there will be a higher proportion in UKIP.

I see a European Commission Survey has identified Scotland as the most desirable country to live in in the UK. Not just because it is, of course, the most beautiful but also because: "..the population's welcoming attitude has been credited with clinching the accolade.'

I think the poor in the UK need to have a group hug and kick the Tories up the arse and then move to a Federation model.  My one and only real point is that everyone's interests are valid.

Bless the Greens, they have the luxury of picking the causes and will never have the repsonsibility of Government on their shoulders.  There has been a major uproar about noise and compulsory purchase on homes to make way for the Heathrow expansion.  I guess when it comes down to it, a decison is taken for the greater good.

I haven't heard accusations of racism being levelled at anyone but UKIP since Brexit and it is an easy way of dismissing and distorting the experience and concerns of ordinary people. 

Personally, I think Wales is pretty nifty and being Scottish, I wouldn't want to come across as biased ... ;)

Unilever demanding a 10% rise in its prices to compensate it for the pound crashing through the floor.

Tesco say 'naw'

Unilever pull their products from Tesco including Ben n Jerry's ice cream, marmite, certain brands of toothpaste and deodorant.

Is this what brexit has brought us to??

I also hear if the Scottish Government trigger Indyref2, the UK Government as part of its new programme fear will threaten Scotland with having to keep the pound. :-) 

IndyRef2 consultation document to be out next week.

We can buy Mackie's ice cream. I don't eat Pot Noodle or Marmite. Wouldn't if you paid me. And I prefer Sensodyne to Signal and don't like Tesco's.

#IndyRef2.  Well, this is going to be interesting:)

I am definately in the 50% of people that hate marmite - yuck. 

Apparently Unilever and Tesco have resolved the issue but I wouldn't be surprised if food prices go up.

She's got this right: "I think the economic arguments are clear,” she said. “I think being part of a 500-million trading bloc is significant for us. I think, as I was saying to you a little earlier, that one of the issues is that a lot of people will invest here in the UK because it is the UK in Europe."

They'll be bailing out.

I'm interested in the opportunities that might be afforded to Scotland by the EEA  – could well be another option worth thinking about:
https://www.commonspace.scot/articles/9666/eea-most-obvious-route-scotland-says-eu-law-academic

The EEA is a poor option, paying 80% of what we did as members, obeying all the rules of the club but with nil say in the formulation of those rules.  I can understand it as a last resort fall back but better an independent full member than this sham.

Don't know all the ins and outs but apparently it would appeal to the fishing communities.

See the High Court have ruled that Brexit is a Government only issue and that Parliament must have a say on triggering the exit.  Looks like Government will go to Supreme Court. The guy leading the legal argument voted out – apparently all about Sovereignty.

Its hilarious listening to brexiters 'who voted out for the sovereignty of the UK parliament' complaining about three judges agreeing with them

I don't know if it will make much difference but if you're going to do it then do it right. Looks like even more of a mess.