Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

#Iheartrugby  :)

The game of the Gods and nobody will tell me different!

I've got the Crabbies. I've making the stovies and we are all set for the Calcutta Cup tomorrow.  If Scotland play as well as they did in the World Cup 2015, the Calcutta Cup could be ours.  Oh, how I wish I was at Murrayfield. :(

Hope you have fun and fingers crossed. Although, it's starting to look as though Tennis is our game – well done to Gordon Reid, Jamie Murray and Andy, although, not number one, is no slouch.  :)

Almost there but not quite. I didn't like one of those pundits – cheeky so and so. Said what he thought was going on in the heads of the Scottish players was 'nothing.'  What kind of comment is that?

Sadly, we were defeated by the English "grind".  England earned their win - that first Try was the perfect set piece.  The amount of booing was pretty shocking and not something you hear in other Six Nation's fixture games.   

I didn't hear the comment but I think people get quite frustrated by Scotland's Form.  There is a lot of goodwill for Scotland to win but their performance is patchy and has at times been absolutely diabolical.  England have picked themselves up after their shocking performance during the World Cup.  Scotland had a strong World Cup but have got off to a shoogily they need to get back on top of their game.  I want to be handing my wooden spoon on to another member of the sweepstake this year!

Seemed quite a close thing but even the Scottish fans interviewed said that England deserved their win. 

I didn't notice the booing but probably washed over me as I'm not used to watching rugby. I can't think of it as requiring as much talent as football, although, Jim assures me that I am wrong an that it's just different talents and the two games cannot be compared.

I was hoping Italy would win as well. Glad the big fellow with the big beard has recovered from his operation.

Scotland played really well but England played with incredible skill and it was good to see Chris Robshaw back on form.  I was sad not to see him leading the England side, their new choice for Captain is controversial - to say the least.  I felt the ref stifled the game at times but the result was a fair reflection of the game. 

Having been to Murrayfield many times to watch the Calcutta Cup, there is a tendency to boo England when taking penalties or conversions. Booing is kind of unheard of in rugby and is considered quite bad form.  If you watch any of Farrell's attempts at goal yesterday you will hear it.

These new coaches from the southern hemisphere seem to know what they are doing and are head and shoulders over home-grown talent; it's just a shame that the UK can't produce a decent coach of leadership and skill.  Craig Laidlaw has grown so much in stature under Cotter into a great Scottish Captain.  I have great hopes for the rest of the Six Nations and think Scotland will come through with a decent placing.   If it's not Scotland for the Cup it's got to be Wales!

Stunning opening to proceedings from Astronaut Tim Peak.

http://bbc.in/1L3u1UW

Good to hear that progress is being made. I think that coaching requires very particular skills over and above knowledge of the game. I don't know how you sole the problem of a lack among the home grown.

I saw Tim Peak. Good to know that he's having fun. Not quite Beyonce though? :-)

Ireland and Wales played a belter of a game on Sunday.  Score draw and a few sourpuss faces amongst the captains ....

Ireland has the one of  best coaches in world class  rugby, in New Zealander Joe Schmidt.  I was hoping that newly retired, Ritchie McCaw, might fancy a sabbatical in Scotland and a stint at coaching.... I can but dream. :rolleyes:

The Six Nations is to me like Wimbledon is for other folk - the highlight of the sporting year.  The first match I ever went to see at Murrayfield was Wales and Scotland and Scotland won.  I fell in love with the game and I fell in love with the Welsh.  I do think they have the greatest and warmest fans.   For me, Wales really is the heart and soul of rugby and I love to see them play.  Despite the great step forward for the World Cup, Scotland just can't get there.  Two games down and no win...... Come on!

Ok, everything crossed for a big win for Scotland against Italy today. I really really don't want to be taking home another wooden spoon this year - literally!  Last year's is still hanging on my office door.  I want to redo the paint job and hand it on! 

We had home baked green cakes from our Irish staff - and some Portuguese custard tarts thrown in for good measure.  I was hoping to be baking the winning shortbread this year ....:well, taken oot a packet and roughed up;p

getPart?uid=348520&partId=2&saveAs=IMG_0

I'm not entirely sure I understand it all, harper, but at least the Scottish fans are getting a trip to a lovely city – although I heard rain is forecast.  Hope they do well.

It's easy peasy ...

Played annually, the format of the Championship is simple: each team plays every other team once, with home field advantage alternating from one year to the next. Two points are awarded for a win, one for a draw and none for a loss and unlike most other rugby union competitions the bonus point system is not used.

Victory in every game results in a 'Grand Slam' and back-to-back Grand Slams have been won on five occasions. Wales achieved the first one in 1908 and 1909, England have done it three times in 1913 and 1914, 1923 and 1924 and 1991 and 1992 while France did it in 1997 and 1998. England hold the record for the number of Grand Slams won with 12, followed by Wales with 11, France with nine, Scotland with three and Ireland with two.

Victory by any Home Nation over the other three Home Nations constitutes as a 'Triple Crown'. The Triple Crown has twice been won on four consecutive occasions, once by Wales between 1976 and 1979 and once by England between 1995 and 1998. England hold the record for the number of Triple Crowns won with 23, followed by Wales with 20 and Scotland and Ireland both with ten.

Although this achievement has long been a feature of the tournament, it was not until 2006 that a physical trophy, commissioned by the Royal Bank of Scotland, was awarded. Meanwhile, the last-placed nation at the end of the tournament is said to have won a purely figurative Wooden Spoon.

Several individual competitions take place under the umbrella of the Six Nations tournament. The oldest is the Calcutta Cup, which has been running since 1879 and is contested annually between England and Scotland.

The Millennium Trophy has been awarded to the winner of the game between England and Ireland with the first presented in 1989, and in the same year, the Centenary Quaich was contested between Ireland and Scotland for the first time.

Since 2007, France and Italy have also contested for their own silverware - the Giuseppe Garibaldi Trophy. It was created to honour the 200th anniversary of the birth of Giuseppe Garibaldi, who helped unify Italy and was also a French military general.

Read more at http://www.rbs6nations.com/en/championship/history.php#CjEa8uTkB26UfM5l.99