Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Pat

Books

What you reading folks?

I just finished a thriller called The Ice Twins that I got out of the library.  I'd give it a four out of ten.  Demanded a lot of what I call 'going along with the author.'  Liked the setting though – Skye.

I love the sound of David Whte's 'Consolations: The Solace, Nourishment and Underlying Meaning of Everyday Words' because I love anything to do with words.  Very pricey though. 

'Whyte chooses 52 ... ordinary words, the same number as the playing cards in a standard deck — perhaps a subtle suggestion that words, like cards, are as capable of illusion as they are of magic: two sides of the same coin, chosen by what we ourselves bring to the duality. Indeed, dualities and counterpoints dominate the book — Whyte’s short essays examine ambition and disappointment, vulnerability and courage, anger and forgiveness.

http://www.davidwhyte.com/consolations.html

I'd need to be in the right mood for that Whyte book. Maybe big armchair and roaring fire would do the trick.

I'm re-reading McIlvanney's Laidlaw.  Seemed like the right think to do.

The release of the new filum has turned my mind back to re-reading A Scot's Quair, it's been at least 25 years so it's due a turn ...

Started re-reading Ring of Bright Water the other day.  I am not really a big fan of Christmas but it is good to have time off work to catch up with yourself:) 

Long time since I've read any Lewis Grassic Gibbon, harper. I do remember that when I opened the first page thinking that I would never understand it. Amazing how quickly you become accustomed to the Scots.  I think the film will definitely have encouraged re-reading.  Same with the death of McIlvanney.  I'm delighted that he saw his books come back into print before he died.

I've started reading Armadillos (pre release) – it's Pauline Lynch's first novel and a cracker.  http://www.glasgowwestend.co.uk/glasgow-writers-pauline-lynch/

I love getting a good book for Christmas.  This year I got Grayson Perry's Playing to the Gallery and 30-Second Shakespeare: key aspects of Shakespeare's works, life and legacy, each explained in half a minute.  Quite handy as I also got a DVD of Hamlet with David Tennant:)  

I got a copy of John Cooper-Clark's Ten Year's in an Open Necked Shirt for my son.   I love Cooper-Clarke; he's a national treasure:)