Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Pat

R.I.P. William McIlvanney

So sad to hear about the death of William McIlvanney. Living with Words the documentary by Moss O'Brien about McIlvanney is fantastic. It was one of the highlights of the Glasgow Film Festival and a joy to see McIlvanney in such great form at the Q & A

https://youtu.be/ah7wjP3aulg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah7wjP3aulg

They are great, samsc.  He was so happy that Canongate took him on and his books came back into print.

I came late to McIlvanney, had never heard of him until some years ago. A young woman I hadn't seen for some months was at a meeting I attended and she said I had crossed her mind "just the other day" because she had put aside a book she thought I would like and we arranged to be at the same meeting the following week; the book, which I have looked for and cannot find, is the Papers of......Veitch; the young woman was right and I went next to the trilogy: he certainly had a way of making me grab for a dictionary.....

Started to write this and was thinking three or four years ago but it was longer, perhaps six years ago.....time flies when having fun. I was surprised he had died in Scotland but another google corrected an earlier impression that he was in New Zealand but that was/is his son. And I will look for "Living With Words". Difficult to compare him with Rankin because of the amount I have read, very little of McIlvanney and almost everything by Rankin.

And then there is Denise and "Exile", not enough superlatives in my vocabulary.

Tam, I think that's Tony Veitch.

Yes, McIlvanney's writing is great – father of Tartan Noir.  I think Scotland must be up there with Scandinavia when it comes to crime writing.

Let is know what you think of Living with Words  watch out for cameo roles by Harper and I.  In George Square.

Found "Living with Words". BBC version will not play, I think one must be in the UK. Youtube has it and a guess says it is the right one, interviews, his brother, George Square, libraries, a part where he and is brother are near a beach....kept thinking I recognized some places but not at all sure, don't think there is a beach near Kilmarnock and the opening scene I thought was the back of the Perth (Bell) library but doubt that because a similar view was definitely Kilmarnock.

And I cuidnae hear....will need closed captions or new hearing aid(s).

Edited by tamd
added a d

Ian Bell was a fantastic journalist. His piece on Hilary Benn: dismantling the rhetoric was brilliant.  Always asked the right questions. http://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/14126940.Ian_Bell__The_dismantling_of_Hilary_Benn_s_empty_war_rhetoric/

William McIlvanney Living With Words on BBC2 - either Monday or Tuesday 10 p.m.

Loved watching Living With Words again. Made me think that McIlvanney wasn't feeling too great as he referred a lot to aging. Very sad but marvellous documentary.